Rubbing noise from (I think) top of steering column on Vitesse

Thanks.

Looking at Haynes manual, there appears to be a lower and upper inner shafts. Can't see any reference to adjustments to the column or what Dave mentioned as the centre section being set too low (is this the gap I need to make please Pete ?).

I have never taken a column off/apart, so don't have much understanding I'm afraid.

Also has always been noticeable play in the column, when hand at bottom/outer of steering wheel when pushing upwards.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Pete, if the horn pencil is making noises its in upside down.

Dave, I have attached some info. Basically the part of the steering column that takes the steering wheel fits over an inner column that goes down to the steering rack coupler. It is an early form of collapsible steering column, though I wouldn't want to test it out. If you undo the impact clamp the steering wheel can be moved up. Only move it a very small amount. When you do the clamp up make sure to get it engaged correctly against the flat of the inner column.

Dave    

Impact Clamp 1.jpg

Have you tried to just wiggle and push the outer column down a   bit through its clamp, they will often move ok

With out undoing anything

When it stops raining na new top bush may cure your lift

The bush is held in place by two pips which locate in holes in the tube, just cut the old bush pips off with a drill and push new bush in on top of the old one,  In  50, yrs time you get a tube full of bushes  ha !

Dave, no just the impact clamp and then you should be able to pull the steering wheel up a very small amount. This should increase the clearance between the steering wheel and the top of the fixed section of the column. Undo the two bolts on the impact clamp by a small amount. Afterwords be very careful to locate impact clap against the flat of the inner/lower section of the column.

Dave 

22 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

A wiring loom behind my dash came adrift and came to rest on the column, made a worrying rubbing noise. 

Doug

Not relevant now but re-reading I should point out it was the loom moving on the column!  

db

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Not relevant now but re-reading I should point out it was the loom moving on the column!  

db

Doug, bet you are glad you found it. If things had shorted out it would have tested out the earthing bridge wire across the steering coupler!