Dashboard instrument lights

Stewart Vacher

When driving my GT6 Mk3 at night I have difficulty in reading the instruments due to very low illumination levels on the dials, although all the bulbs seem to be functioning correctly.

Can anyone please advise me if it is possible to up the wattage of the bulbs, or change to a different style, maybe an LED equivalent and if so where to obtain such items?  

Stewart

Hello Stewart.

I had exactly the same problem with my Mk2 Vitesse - may not as well of bothered to have the panel lights on !!

At the time I was doing a fair bit of work to the car and also decided to add some additional gauges etc.

I replaced ALL instrument bulbs with LED units which I obtained from Stafford Vehicle Components Ltd (www.s-v-c.co.uk)  01827.67714 speak with Edward. He will need to know if push fit or screw - a combination can be ordered.

The bulbs are much brighter, run cooler than normal instrument bulbs and emit a very pleasant illumination.

Bearing in mind that these LED units have thousands of hours of life because they use less power & run cooler; there initial cost is easily recovered over time. If you ever decide to sell your car you can always replace them and fit to your next classic.

SVC may well be at the Triumph Spares Day on the 1st March so perhaps a phone call can broker a deal and if nothing else you can save postage if collected.

I have attached a couple of pics to show what LED can do + dash layout - all gauges have the LED lamps. Sorry the LED shots are not as focused as they could be.

Hope the above helps ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Stewart.

I had exactly the same problem with my Mk2 Vitesse - may not as well of bothered to have the panel lights on !!

At the time I was doing a fair bit of work to the car and also decided to add some additional gauges etc.

I replaced ALL instrument bulbs with LED units which I obtained from Stafford Vehicle Components Ltd (www.s-v-c.co.uk)  01827.67714 speak with Edward. He will need to know if push fit or screw - a combination can be ordered.

The bulbs are much brighter, run cooler than normal instrument bulbs and emit a very pleasant illumination.

Bearing in mind that these LED units have thousands of hours of life because they use less power & run cooler; there initial cost is easily recovered over time. If you ever decide to sell your car you can always replace them and fit to your next classic.

SVC may well be at the Triumph Spares Day on the 1st March so perhaps a phone call can broker a deal and if nothing else you can save postage if collected.

I have attached a couple of pics to show what LED can do + dash layout - all gauges have the LED lamps. Sorry the LED shots are not as focused as they could be.

Hope the above helps ??

Regards.

Richard.

post-818-0-06954500-1423412032_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-19954800-1423412056_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-25330400-1423412082_thumb.jpg