Engine Stand

AidanT

Question. Are there any issues in using an engine stand on a six pot? I'm sure someone said it damages the end plate but it may just be me. Anything I should know about or anyone recommend that I do

Thanks 

Aidan 

Apparently you don't bolt it to the end plate, but into the block itself - this was never explained to me when I bought mine so for years I just bolted the arms of the stand to the end plate with threaded rods and large washers, but you're supposed to use bolts that will screw into the block. Where you get them from these days is another matter! As far as I can tell my endplate is undamaged after aforementioned abuse, but on both of my recent engines I went for alloy replacements anyway so it was immaterial.

You can also bolt to the side of the engine block where the engine mounts fit - this will hold the engine side on to the stand as opposed to end on, but it still rotates sufficiently to allow access to the important bits.

Colin.

I have an engine stand but never used it - yet !!

Am I right in thinking that probably all engines have these bolt holes created during casting, in case a day comes when the engine does need to be bolted to such a stand ??

Never cross-referenced a WSM to check for such and nor has that information been obvious within the manual.

Regards.

Richard.

Does anyone know what size and length of bolt i would need?

Aidan

Colin. I have also read that it can be mounted via the side engine mount but I assume a plate would need to be made to fit it? Do you know if anyone has a design or old one they would like to sell?

Aidan

I was advised against bolting to the engine plate due to potential distortion - it is a heavy block. I bolted direct to the block but to be honest was never happy or confident whilst it was on. By the time you get the arms in a position to line up with the bock threads there was very little spread of the arms and certainly not even. I have a stand that rotates but once on didn't want to move it. In future if I need the block out and unless I needed to get to the sump again I'd  drop it onto a wheel dolly which fitted perfectly. I know some members have a spare engine plate specifically for this purpose.

Adrian

I use a spare rear enegine plate, 'improved' by having the central hole expanded so that it's possible to get at the rear crankshaft seal housing bolts while its still on the stand, and being painted red so I'll never forget to take it off!  See below, where it's off the stand, on and engine that's on a hoist.  You can see the rim holes tht I use for the stand bolts, at 2, 5, 7, and 10 o'clock.

The plate attaches to the block by seven bolts, nearly twice as many as the stand has, so more secure and less stress on the block.

If you don't have a spare plate, make one!    A sheet of steel (or aluminium) could cost less than £20, use the actual engine plate as a pattern, mark out and drill the new one.  Voila!

JOhn

Adapted backplatefor engine stand.jpg

This is the only photograph that I was able to find on my 1200 engine on the stand, just after all the blockwork was completed but before I started on the head. It's just held on with threaded rods from B&Q cut to size, large washers, and nuts, through the backplate as shown. I did go for holes as close to the block as possible to avoid distortion that may have occurred with some of the more distant ones. Not the best solution in light of the proper method but the engine was held solidly enough and rotated with no difficulty. I did the same with the GT6 engine when it was rebuilt, and again no problems detected.

DSCF1163.jpg.6a485b2b7d2871bcecdc82dbd1b17bad.jpg

Thanks all very useful. Just need to buy one plus a block and tackle to lift the engine. (No crane but have a great thick wood beam in the garage!)

Sorry should have added can you advise on what kind of dimensions the plate should be? 

Thx 

Aidan

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just a quick update - my engine is now on its stand. Thanks Colin for the advice to look on sideways I have copied one from there

The engine is nice and stable with the stand on the side

Also a big thanks to Adrian who has allowed me to borrow his crane and stand for the medium term

Aidan 

post-655-0-39992300-1448214002.jpg

This is the one I copied