Rimmer 1200 herald head gasket

Andy53

i have just bought a replacement head gasket for a 1200 herald engine and unlike full metal gaskets that i have fitted before this has metal one side and fibre on the other. so my question is which way up does it fit and what sealant would you use if any. on previous occasions i've used grease but i suspect this is not for this type. thanks. 

Does it say 'top' anywhere? Some do, but not all. I'd be tempted to say metal to top, however it's said that if they don't have the orientation marked on them, then it doesn't matter. On most these days all the holes are symmetrical, so you can't fit them back to front; this also would have meant that if they only fit one way from back to front, they'll only fit one way top to bottom too.

I had to run out to the garage to check, but all mine are either copper or full metal - I bought three off eBay a while ago as part of a huge load of gaskets, and they're all unmarked on either side, so no help there.

Some will say put the metal to the top because the head is allegedly hotter than the block; not sure if that makes any difference.

I don't use any sealer on mine, members recommend a small ring of head gasket around the rear oil channel from head to block but that's really it.

copied from same problem on a mini forum  with contact to the manufacturer

BEST ANSWE

Okay, I rang the manufacturer this morning to get the definitive answer and it is as somebody previously said black composite side up. So I have it the wrong way round - bugger! The reason is that the black side is sticky and the metal side is not. The bores flex due to the compression and heat and the metal side of the gasket against the block allows the bores to move relative to the gasket without damaging it. With it upside down (as I have fitted it) it will fail between the bores where it is weakest. Oh well, you live and learn!!

Hopefully this will help somebody else in the future to not make the same mistake.

I have also suggested to this particular manufacturer that they include something to tell people which side is up.

Thanks Pete i'm sure having put it the "wrong way round" it will last until you need to have the head off to do something else!! thanks for taking the time to ring the manufacturer.

i did consider putting the old metal gasket back on as it didn't look at all bad. i'll just keep it for emergencies.

doubt there will be any real problems if is was that important there would be some clues somewhere on or in the package

to me the head moves a lot more than the block , due to heat and combustion loads making it jump around( panting) 

so long as the fire rings  are gripped by the  torque on the studs , what more can you expect, when it goes bang the ring doesnt know if its 

on head or horse  horseback 

engine design has a lot to do with all this , our blocks are pretty stable   ...back to 'orses again

pete