Tyres that REALLY work

Its ok @clive- she is used to it  - My photography hobby is probably more expensive....... I dropped one lens onto the hotel floor during my recent trip to the USA - cost over £500 to repair it - insurance has covered a large proportion. And I'm also buying a friends 300mm f2.8 lens that she is no longer using because its too heavy.......... Don't NEED it............

Hello All

Here we go on the slippery slope in to bling (but that's just boys and toys)

I say do what you like but use them! and maybe thrash them now and again(the wheels will fester and tyres will die of old age) but go for it!

But just use them and tour in foreign lands and I have to say they will not notice the BLING wheels! just the nice old car!

Roger

Roger, I know what you are saying- but my current wheels are a bit Meeh and need something doing to them - and I've always liked Minilites since I was a kid - the tyres aren't great on the car - so it seems ideal to kill 2 birds with one stone - and as there is a bit of a deal on........

I would like to go abroad one day in the Spitfire - and I will - but not next year - but I do want to drive it more that is true - I've got a new shed coming tomorrow which will allow the garage to be sorted out and to give better access to the car all year round as I have to work on the drive at the moment. I still will for some jobs, but it will be nice to be able to do some bits in the garage!

I think what you need is an event with some Continental touring, ideally with a load of other Triumphs. Some mountains etc, the odd autobahn. Plenty of photo ops at the top of passes, with nice little cafes. That will be the 10CR then.... (entries open soon. very soon)

Nothing like a deadline to get a car properly sorted😎

Hello Mark,

You do not need to justify your decision.

Your car, your money and your choice.

I think you will find there are many cars out there with different wheels and in fact Minilite would have been a period option. Most go for silver, but it is good to see other colours and black really does suit.

When I purchased my Vitesse it had Superlites, same as Minilites but lighter. They looked great but with regret they were 6J and not suitable for the tyre size I wanted; hence my change and went D1. Had the wheels been suitable I would have kept them.

You did the right thing by photoshopping  to get a proper appreciation as to how they will look.

Regards.

Richard.

The original post was specifically about track day tyres.   If you can afford a track day, you can afford some proper track tyres, so race tyres.

The Yokohama A048 is  excellent.  I use the 'Soft' compound, but a 'SuperSoft' is available.    They REALLY work!

JOhn

No John, the first post was about tyres that actually work, and had been tested in fairly harsh conditions and at high speeds. The post was never about choosing a track specific tyre. (which would be hopeless for me as I drive to and from trackdays, and trackday/race tyres are often not suitable for road use (plenty of warnings about it from the sellers of such tyres)

And Colin. The answer is obvious. You need black wheels. The only alternative is 5 1/2J hubcap wheels, Dunlop 923? Which are a beautiful wheel in white. n early spit/GT6 and any herald/vitesse. And my view needs to be taken with as much salt as the Chinese gentleman poured (shovelled) over his fish and chips when I went to the chippy the other day.... (arteries as hard as nails I reckon)

Colin,

A048 used to be road legal.     Mostly.   See: https://www.tyremen.co.uk/blog/yokohama-advan-a048-road-legal-track-tyres   I left mine on last time it went for an MoT (I have another set of wheels for road work) and had an urgent message from the workshop, that it had passed but get down here ASAP!     The owner was worried that an inspector could call for an 'unannounced' and see that the side wall of these softies say "Not for Road Use"!

But if you could ever see your way to using them, or something like them. it's a diffferent track-world!    

John

I am a bit of a coward when it comes to track days - I’ve never done one and not sure that I would be able to resist going a bit too fast and loose it. And I can’t afford to smash it up. Or at least don’t what to afford to. 

Anyway. I ordered them today and had a call to say the yoki’s weren’t in stock but would do the falkens for the same price. 

Anglefire,

Choose your trackday.  Some take place on old airfields, with runways wider than a football field and 'tracks' marked out with cones.    There is literally enough run-off area to land Concorde, so even 'loosing it' will only wound your pride!   Some real tracks like Silverstone have enormous run-off available - you would need to work hard to cause any damage to your self.

I'm not a track day evangelist - I just KNOW it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

John

• Like 1

Personally I would avoid most airfield trackdays. Concrete is VERY aggressive and causes massive tyre wear (or rather ripping chunks of rubber off tyres) Of course, if there is  a tarmac overlay that is different (Blyton and probably others) I also worry a little about the "quality" of other drivers. 

I can recommend again the TRR and MGoC days. I am certain there are many many others where people are respectful and know how to drive..... (a brands hatch taster session was scary! zero etiquette/awareness/respect from many of the "drivers" and several black flags...)