Gov.uk details about 40yr MOT exemption

Pete Lewis

Interesting personal experiences last year. (and annoying)  long story so I'll cut it short. My wife past away and I was a named driver on her car. Phoned insurance company and sorted it out. Due to their clerical total cock up the car insurance was cancelled even though they issued me a certificate. Anyway drove for months without insurance until dvla sent me a letter saying car not insured or sorn. I spent nearly every weekend driving from Rotherham to Somerset and never got picked up (thank God )  

Goes to show how easy it is not to get caught. 

4 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Classic cars - Its not unusual to find its the same people who tend to breakdown and also have no spares or tools with them. No age group, just a state of mind.

Not good if they are in convoys going to events.

Dave 

The standard phrase over here is "Sure, what harm am I doing?" usually followed by a big smile and the gesture that says: end of conversation.

No lights? Sure what harm am I doing? No number plates? No brakes? Sure I'm only hurting myself...

It's a state of mind, true enough!

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2018 at 10:34 AM, PeterH said:

I assume fitting a swing axle to an early Spit would be OK as the swing axle was fitted as standard later.

Of course, you are not changing the type of suspension or way it works. 

(but worth noting, early cars are often referred to as swing axle, late cars swing spring....)

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2018 at 9:41 PM, Triumph948 said:

On 11/04/2018 at 7:42 AM, AidanT said:

Cookie

The problem with fuzzes MOT list is it's far too small unless it's changed lately Last time I looked I would have to drive over 100 miles to my nearest listed station

Maybe someone could have a word with Fuzz?

Aidan 

Aiden,

Probably used the wrong wording! I'm not talking about Fuzz's "Classic Friendly"scheme, I'm just talking about using my local MOT Testing station that is friendly to classics. Already had a word with them, and they will carry out a full MOT test without logging it on the system which allows me to ignore non safety issues like emissions but attend to important stuff like corrsion, brakes, suspension, steering and the like.

That's an eminently sensible option, one that I'd go for myself. A second pair of eyes plus the professional equipment can spot things a rose-tinted owner wouldn't, or mightn't want to.

Re Dave's post - we all do it, I just realised yesterday en route to a show that I'd a toolkit with me, but no jack or wheelbrace... 

AND finally: re Blitz' post on Insurance.....  I bought my first Spitfire and drove it on the clause in my main car Insurance that said: "the certificate holder may also drive any vehicle, whether belonging to him or not, or owned by him under any hire purchase agreement" etc etc." TWO YEARS LATER after attending myriad runs and shows, my Insurance came up for renewal and I called in at the office where they arranged cover with a new Insurer.

"Will it still cover me for the Spitfire? " asks I.

"You were never covered for any Spitfire" she replied, puzzled.... Oops... :o

• Like 1

Hi

I went to see my mot guy last week but he did not mention anything about emissions. Has this tightened up in the latest changes then? He said it was best just to get it mot'd 

My GT6 had no issue with emissions last year

Aidan 

Love it! This should be in the joke section

MOT manual say reasons for pre 1979 failure.

1. The exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a period of 5 seconds at idle.

2. The exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration which would obscure the view of other road users. :lol:

Doug

• Like 1

I've just found this via a link on Faceache https://www.britishmotorvehicles.com/news/the-new-mot-exemption-explained

Does at least make some sense (Agree with it or not) - but in essence if your car (Other rules for HGV etc) is over 40years old after the 20th May this year it will automagically be flagged as MOT exempt. If it is not marked as VHI or declared VHI when it is next taxed, then that flag will be removed. The police will regard every 40YO car as MOT exempt unless flagged as not being so.

OK I think I understand, All 40 year olds will be MOT exempt until the next tax renewal. The procedure for newbie 40 year olds is clear, down to the post office with V5, MOT (?) and fill in V112. BUT what about existing Historic Vehicles? Currently I renew on line, will the V112 option be available on line or do I have to find a post office? 

Doug