Gov.uk details about 40yr MOT exemption

Pete Lewis

I will let you know as my tax is due 1/6 and mot 6/6 There should be an option to declare no mot required as car is not modified, but I guess it will not be available until 20th as at present it does require an MOT

My MOT is due on the 29th May - but when I changed to VHI in april I was asked then if it was substantially modified and I think reading this that I will be automagically MOT exempt and have to declare it next April when the free tax is due.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my MOT and paid the tax for it in April 18 but taxed it for 6 months....Sent them my V5 stating that it is now a Historic Vehicle with no modifications....I got a notification from the DVLA that the vehicle now has zero tax with the MOT due in April 19....should expect a refund on the road tax I think.

Will wait with regards to the MOT bit...like most of you guys, I will probably still get it MOTed next year for peace of mind more than anything else dependant on mileage covered...so far I've only done 100 miles since it was taxed in April 18.

Nautam

36 minutes ago, Nautam Mistry said:

I got my MOT and paid the tax for it in April 18 but taxed it for 6 months....Sent them my V5 stating that it is now a Historic Vehicle with no modifications....I got a notification from the DVLA that the vehicle now has zero tax with the MOT due in April 19....should expect a refund on the road tax I think.

Will wait with regards to the MOT bit...like most of you guys, I will probably still get it MOTed next year for peace of mind more than anything else dependant on mileage covered...so far I've only done 100 miles since it was taxed in April 18.

Nautam

You’ll probably get 5months back. ?