Spit 4 footwell water

Blitz

Went out to start the princess and found an inch of water sat in both foot wells. She is parked on a sloping drive with the bonnet lower than the boot. My windows do leave a gap where they meet the hard top so it could be that. Are their any obvious either places to let the water in ? Windscreen seel looks ok. 

Im going to park her the other way round to see if that makes a difference and buy a cover but knowing the route cause would help. 

Thanks

Grant 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Open bonnet and look at the lower  bulge in the panel below the heater air intake

Has a rubber flap to keep engine fumes out but should open to let water out this goes hard and gets clogged with debris

This is what I have on my Mk2 Spitfire but I think that the early MK1s had a metal pipe that ends in a rubber moulding that droops over the horizontal part of the bulkhead (above the bell-housing) This rubber moulding has a thin slot to let the water out and it gets clogged very easily. Do take care if you have this part and try to unblock it, it will be very brittle and is probably one of the rarest parts on any Spitfire.

Adrian

Whilst talking about drain holes, do check your battery box drain hole is clear and not bunged up

I had to clear mine out a couple of weeks ago as it was not draining so used a cut up coat hanger to clear it out

Aidan 

• Thanks 1

Ok had a look. Obvious thing is a hole at the lower right of the heater. I can see right through from the bonnet grills. Is this supposed to be open or piped off to allow water to drain off away from the bulk head. See pic 

20180408_122214.jpg

Thanks to Amazon the cover arrived today. Battery tray isn’t a tray but some protective  material. I’ll take the battery out and look for the drainage pipe. Window seals look rubbish to me. Been cut short leaving gaps along the bottom so rain could be running through the inside of the door cards.  Regarding the top of the windows  and windscreen pillar fit it’s pants too but without a reference vehicle not sure how good it should be. 

Thanks for all your help I’ll keep looking as time allows. Bloody work interfering with my life :rolleyes: