J-type overdrive variations between models

Back in about 2001 I used a Dolomite 1850 overdrive unit for my GT6 O/D conversion. The car is now getting a serious amount of servicing prior to the first MOT in six years, (although the chassis welding may not pass and it may all be a waste of time)

I'm replacing the gearbox oil and before I attempt any cleanup of the O/D unit itself - from underside, on the car - I need to know what's available before I break what I have. It's been running fine up until now. I'm simply intending to remove the lower plate, clean up what I can including the magnetic strip and the filter, and replace with a new filter and gasket. I'm assuming the actual unit exterior is the same regardless of whatever species of car it was fitted to, so all filters etc are the same? I don't want to order Spitfire parts only to find they don't fit the Dolly version, which they're not listed for... for example the filter is listed as 8mm and 11mm outlets. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave, that's excellent and it's confirmed that I need the larger filter NKC53 and not 53S. The only query now is the gasket: this diagram shows NKC7 but Rimmers list the gaskets as NKC76 while NKC76 above is a washer.... however I'll believe Rimmers, who have a photo of said gasket, and order from them.

I'll almost place a bet that when one arrives, I've got one already somewhere....

• Thanks 1

And if you want to remove the solenoid its a thin 1"af spanner,  dont unscrew by turning the body can wreck it.

Not many show but remove the small 10mm circlip and check the 0 ring inside the solenoid, they all sell the outside ones which dont do much other than seal the unit to the case, its  the little sod inside gets all the movement,

Pete

It may be a moot point now, I was out checking a while ago and I don't think it can be done on the car with the gearbox in situ? The plate won't drop past the chassis on the GT6 as there's not enough room on the driver's side of things to drop the bolts out. That being the case I just refilled the oil and ticked another job off the list.