Face protector and cutting disc

Robin

I need to do some work using an angle grinder - can anyone recommend a suitable full face protector and what sort of price should I pay? 

Also, is there a particular make of 1mm cutting discs I should look for? Presumably it’s best to avoid cheap products?

thanks

Robin

Igot a mask from Toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p53860 but if working in some places it may be worth adding some wrap around glasses, just in case: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwear+%26+Safety/d70/Safety+Eyewear/sd2775/DeWalt+Contractor+Safety+Glasses/p18107

Re cutting discs, I always use the 1mm type. They can be very expensive, and you get through far more than you anticipate. I buy packs of 25 or 50, and have had ebay ones that work out at 40p eack. They are OK, but wear a bit faster than Norton (which are MUCH more expensive, but I sometimes acquire samples!) I use a flapwheel rather than grinding discs, but the norton  (blue) blending wheel I have tried is wonderful. I haven't enquired about cost, suspect it to be prohibitive, so will have to wait for more samples.

(edit, just found the blending discs. 5 are £60!!! Won't be buying those!!!)

It’s also worth thinking about some sort of dust protection as well, as any cutting or grinding has a tendency to throw up loads of crud, much of which probably isn’t good for your health.

I’ll second the use of flap discs as they are great for cleaning up welds after you have cut away the bulk of the offending item.

Karl

Don't cut or grind vertically whilst looking down, as you'll be getting all the debris that's being cut out - cut or grind horizontally so that all debris flies out sideways and away from you, or if you need to cut or grind a vertical surface, stand to the side. Keep vital parts out of the line of fire, remember that metal fragments are hot and can burn clothing (and the glass of nearby cars!) and they'll spend a lifetime on an eyeball, making reading very annoying when small black dots bounce about in your vision. Brother-in-law has been hospitalised twice due to metal grindings coming in around a mask, and he's a professional engineer with top quality equipment.

• 2 weeks later...