Rebuilding the handbrake assembly

Colin Lindsay

Ok so probably unwisely I removed mine from a car, many moons ago, and it's now ready to go back in again. Except, as usual, I've forgotten what goes where....

In the diagram, the long rod from the knob - part 4 - won't hook into anything and just drops off each time - am I correct that it grips over the top of part 2? I need more hands than an octopus to get all these bits in place and hold them there....

All help / advice / tips welcome as always.

handbrake.png.6ff836171e93b395c4e0a2adf6637ca0.png

So, part 4 slides through part 6 down the shaft and engages with one of the holes in part 2. Part 2 is held in position through it's other hole by pin 3 through the hole in part 1. Because you push part 4 in to release the ratchet ( part 7) part 4 must engage with the upper hole in part 2 and the pivot pin 3 goes through the lower hole on part 2. The body of part 1 holds it all in place.

Here is the mk3 diagram, slightly different but the same concept. Here part 4 appears to hook over the top of part 2 but there is only one hole in part 2 This makes me think your part 4 hooks into the second hole of your part 2.

My head hurts.

http://www.classiccarwiring.co.uk/epages/es142611.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es142611/Products/Sample

Doug

26 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Here is the mk3 diagram, slightly different but the same concept. My head hurts.

http://www.classiccarwiring.co.uk/epages/es142611.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es142611/Products/Sample

Doug

I'll say it's different; mine doesn't have all those wires nor headlamps either. However this is me at the top, holding my hands up to my eyes in despair....

5acbc18ea5db5_ScreenShot2018-04-09at20_39_20.png.72f4be62f5b1fa5a300768397383a155.png

Whilst this one is the position I was in for the handbrake:

5acbc1ad696c2_ScreenShot2018-04-09at20_39_45.png.3719a26d44729e8c6a5ad85a8c193ba4.png

• Haha 1

My 64 Vit6 had the same set up, with the release hooked over the release pawl.

For better support to the lever which wagged about i threaded the end of the big clevis and replaced the splitpin with a big nyloc nut 

Pulled it up much better , 

Youve got to remember Dougs been on his weevils this week.

Pete

What a difference a day makes.... woke up this morning and remembered, yes the release rod 4 goes over the top of the small lever 2, which hooks into the larger mechanism 7; the trick is to hold it all together long enough to get it in position on the car, whilst fighting against the handbrake cable, and push the long pivot 8 through both the car brackets and the handbrake lever assembly. I'll start just after lunchtime and see how long it takes me. Watch out for blue air on the weather forecast.

Well, got it all reassembled... then went to refit the carpet which was pushed out of the way over the driver's seat, after the passenger seat had been removed, way back when the process was started. And, of course, it won't go back in place with the handbrake attached... so had to remove the driver's seat, plus the seatbelt mountings, then refit the carpet, then replace all as before. Sometimes I think this car does things like that deliberately, just to annoy me.

When refitting my carbs found that if the order from the manifold is gasket, insulator, gasket, heat shield, gasket carb the fast idle screw catches on the heat shield at about three quarter throttle. If the heat shield is fitted the other side of the insulator all is fine.

Do the cars do it deliberately to show who is boss?.

Regards

Paul

Think they have a strange sense of humour, you look for a particular tool for a job and can not find it, struggle with one not quite right. When you have finished that five minute job after several hours you find they have put what you needed in the first place right in front of you.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Same guys that hide all my 1/2 inch spanners

Yes! He's been to my house! :o Couldn't find a 1/2", in desperation I drove to Wicks and bought ANOTHER set. I've now got 4 AF part sets. :(

Although on one occasion my daughter found a missing spanner under my grandson's pillow, so it could be him.

db

12 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes! He's been to my house! :o Couldn't find a 1/2", in desperation I drove to Wicks and bought ANOTHER set. I've now got 4 AF part sets. :(

Although on one occasion my daughter found a missing spanner under my grandson's pillow, so it could be him.

db

That tooth fairy has a weird sense of humour.... :)

Twice now I've dismantled a vehicle that I had previously dismantled and rebuilt, and found tools behind trim - the first was behind the headlining on a Landrover Discovery, where I found a 13mm socket hanging from the roof rail nuts that had been there since I last refitted it (the usual leaking sunroof saga) and the second was my GT6 about two weeks ago, where I went to replace the rusty number plate light and found a small 3/4 drive socket still on one of the nuts on the inside.

Incidentally the handbrake system is now all rebuilt; just waiting for 'er indoors to help me bleed the brakes and I can roadtest it all.

My dad used to work for British Airways, based in Seattle at the Boing factory. His team checked out new Jumbos before delivery. He had a lovely steel toolkit containing sockets, spanners. all sorts. It was found in one of the wing fuel tank, the owner too embarrassed to own up!

db