Clutch Good & Rubbish

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I thought I would post a few photos of a B&B clutch and ? No Name ????

1st  Pressure plate side

2nd  Flywheel side

3rd  Flywheel side

4th  Pressure plate side

5th Edge

The other differences are B&B 7 1/4" Dia  ??? 7 1/8" Dia 

The center is 1 1/4" long on B&B  ??? 3/4" long

The driven plate supports are slotted   ???? solid 

Plus the center supports are smaller?

The Edge speaks for its self!

The cover looked roughly the same but the 2 big circlips/Spings are different 

Roger

ps now you know what to look for !

DSC06761.JPG

DSC06764.JPG

DSC06765.JPG

DSC06766.JPG

DSC06767.JPG

The one with no groves (one on the right) appears not to have quilting of the plate between the friction material, that is a negative as that will not allow as much progression on engaging the clutch (but was standard on competion clutches). I have had apprentices think the quilting is a fault.

Also the take up and over run springs look stronger, on the one on the right, again leading me to think old style competion.

1 hour ago, Algy said:

The one with no groves (one on the right) appears not to have quilting of the plate between the friction material, that is a negative as that will not allow as much progression on engaging the clutch (but was standard on competion clutches). I have had apprentices think the quilting is a fault.

Also the take up and over run springs look stronger, on the one on the right, again leading me to think old style competion.

Hello Algy

I think the one on the right has some quilting just not as much! It is an old stock B&B or AP as would have been fitted at the factory I think?

I have another old one which has the same coloured springs and was bolted to a spare 1500 engine and that has some quilting.

My real point was the shorter splined part and differences in the construction(it just looks cheap!)

Plus I think it has asbestos in it(not liked now I know) but it works! the new outer cover may have stronger springs to make up for the lack of asbestos?

Roger

I think you may be right about the asbestos, looking at the one on the right and definetly about the length of the splined section, short would mean wear and problems later on.

As long as there is some quilting, should not be a problem. A friend I know fitted a paddle clutch to his car and we ended up changing it after a couple of months as that was digital on or off as was anothers friend's, who had a clutch without quilting (a real dog in town). They had bought them thinging high performance would be better, also with high performance pressure plate so the force required to operate the clutch was high as well, which did not help when trying to slip the clutch to set off.

There is never any progression with  a paddle /ceramic disc , as foind its for hard use and not town driving.

The lack of the crinkle discs onnthe rh disc makes, me feel this is more coil cover not diaphragm if so its will be thicker when lightly clamped  as diaphragm discs are thinner 

The wsm gives the linng spec for should it be woven or composite

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hello All

You had me worried so I took it off the engine to check and it does have some crinkle between the plates and it exactly the same as the old worn one I have!

I thought the coil covers were much smaller friction plates? (6 1/2")

I still think it is a poor copy! it was sold to me by one of the well known suppliers for a Spitfire 1500

Roger

Im not searching for woven vs ferodo but clutch manufactures make so many nearly , not quite , very similar to what ever spec you 

need so it could be a mix and match designed to meet a certain criteria  what ever that was,

Doesnt have to be a coil cover disc for a triumph, some austins had close similars , all depends on engine power and drive line damping

Couple that to clamp loads and pedal loads and thers a can of worms 

Pete

Hello All

I am going to fit it as I think it looks better made! and is identical the old worn one

This is the current offer from all the dealers?(and that says Borg & Beck on the box???)

http://www.angclassiccarparts.co.uk/home/triumph-5981/spitfire/clutch/borg-beck-3piece-clutch-kit-spitfire-1500

But we all know now the center spline is 1/2" longer on a NOS? so surely that would lead to premature wear ? and they are only 180mm dia the old one measures 185 mm which recon is about 15 sq/mm difference!

My brother in law had the center rip out of a mickey mouse one admittedly on a TR6 but a US import on carbs so only making 100bhp max at the time!

Roger

ps I suppose they are ok if you only want to go to local shows and do less than 1000miles a year? but as you know we go touring and off to Spain and France this year for Classic Le Mans and maybe Scotland later in the year