Rocker Oil Feed Kit

Bob Owen

1 hour ago, Darron said:

Hi KevinR

thanks for the reply as you have said very complex , you mention a restrictor where would this be fitted and what size would the hole or bore be ? To be honest I think from reading this thread this weekend I will be removing the the kit from the car as it’s started to play on my mind though I have had no problems or concerns so far but haven’t done thousands of miles in it just a piece of mind , taking on board you and others wisdom and experience.

Darron

Just in case...

Once you have removed the kit" do check the system is delivering oil to the rockers. It won't be  a lot, but every few cycles. If it doesn't do check the flow rates fro the carbs.

8 hours ago, clive said:

Just in case...

Once you have removed the kit" do check the system is delivering oil to the rockers. It won't be  a lot, but every few cycles.

Absolutely! The external feed may not have caused damage yet but it's likely to have encouraged blockage of the regulated feed in the corner of the head. Taking it off without checking that's properly clear has led to more than one serious engine failure that I know of.

On 14/10/2015 at 15:07, JohnD said:

It is so worth repeating, so thank you Mike for telling your sad tale.

I wonder, if the TSSC has any weight with the dealers, they should be asking them to stop selling this engine destroyer.

Anyone keen enough to build an engine properly to take an external supply will be able to source and fit the parts themselves, and those who are not should be protected from themselves.

I've just checked and the TSSC Shop sells no engine parts at all, so no skin of the Club's nose.

For the next AGM, perhaps?

John

I seem to remember the TSSC shop selling this at one time.

JK's ethos was always not to sell stuff he wouldn't fit to his own cars which included the above, and a certain brand of shock absorber,  amongst others. We did ourselves out of a  huge amount of trade when  unleaded started to filter on to the forecourts, and he did his level best to put customers off buying unleaded heads from us. We were sat on a mountain of core cylinder heads which we could have easily converted, but he always told customers to come back when/if they actually detected any exhaust valve seat recession. They either headed his advice, or went off and bought one elsewhere from the less honest end of the trade. As a consequence we still have stilages full of heads here! 

• Thanks 1

A method I've heard described, but not used - I wouldn't have an external supply -  is to note your oil pressure, hot, fit the external with a restrictor and run it again until hot. note the oil pressure.

If there is any drop, repeat with a smaller restrictor, until there is no drop.  Such things are available https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/oilfuelflow05-11908.php but the smallest I've seen is 1mm ID.    I've made restrictors for a different application (to damp out oscillation to a fuel pressure gauge) from copper discs from flattened piping, the diameter to fit inside the compression fitting.    Drill a hole in either side so they JUST meet in the middle.     The actual orifice will be smaller than the drill size.  Using a 1mm drill, I reckon that 0.5mm or less is possible.

But the answer is , YEA, Brothers and Sisters!  Fitte notte this Spawne of Ye Deville!   Lest, verily, it shall cast you into the depths of despair and engine failure!

John the DevillesSpawn Finder

• Thanks 1

i fiited a restrictor on my hairy 1600   (before removing the darn thing) by drill and tap the banjo bolt  bore and  fit a cut down thread  with a 1mm drilled hole 

but blue smoke made the decision to remove well before all this started and solved the haze 

its knocking around in the shed where it belongs 

when checking the rocker orig feed as said  its an interupted supply controlled by a slot in the rear cam journal  so the rockers get a squirt once for each cam revolution 

its not a continuous  flow 

Pete 

On 14/10/2015 at 15:07, JohnD said:

I wonder, if the TSSC has any weight with the dealers, they should be asking them to stop selling this engine destroyer.

Two points re John's very informative posts:

Firstly: I've heard that Jigsaw Racing used 3mm restrictors, and are quoted as saying that no engine leaves their workshop without an external oil feed fitted.

Secondly: back in the day, everyone was harping on about how much fitting these oil feeds reduced engine wear, and they were seen as a must-have, along with oil coolers and spin-on filter adaptors, and a type-9 gearbox, or hard brake pads.... You weren't a proper owner unless you had fitted all, and now at least one is suspected to be a waste of money. (although certain forums dealing with the TR6 model, are still advocating fitting the rocker feeds along with a good rocker cover gasket.)

The Club does have a say - it's here, on this forum, where we should be deterring new owners from throwing their money away on parts that actually do more harm than good. Buying them is not compulsory! Once the dealers stop selling, they'll stop stocking.

If we could only get suppliers to stock parts we really need we'd be a lot happier. (Pan head timing cover screws being the current bugbear...)

yes death to the must haves              saves a lot of heartache  and head scratching,   good olde triumph  just does what it says on the tin

who wants to start a topic of must haves you dont need  ??

there are plenty of upgrades available within the bounds of orig design which improve but dont demise the smiles 

pete

Bought a spin on filter adaptor for my Vitese years ago, still in box.

Currently using green stuff pads which I bought from the club shop, perhaps I should rush out and buy mintex before I kill myself.

Worse still could write-off a Vitesse Convertible, best of the Triumphs.

Regards

Paul

Don't confuse things that we were recommended back in the day but have turned out to be harmful or a complete waste of money, with things that are beneficial, like spin-on conversions. I've been running one on the GT6 since 2001 and it makes sense, but I must admit that I've also met a fair number of owners who have never had one, and their car seem to soldier on regardless. I just mentioned them as it was one of the collection of must-haves that every new owner should buy, and mine seems to have done no harm, but there are more than a few other money-wasting ideas that as Pete says, you must have but don't need...

Greenstuff pads... well I fell for the hype - you MUST have these - and binned them after one season. Haven't run into anyone yet.

Top of the range adjustable shock absorbers.... not much use on a low-mileage low-speed Herald... that sort of thing!

• 1 month later...

late and not so relevant...I seduced by catalog to installing this external line in my rebuild, suffered 

high oil consumption, finally removed this as part of a general frustration, but not as a direct reasoned action...

oil consumption hugely reasonable now...other aspects improved... less misted oil now gets sucked into

intake through the valve cover to manifold hoses... this being carburetted 1974 US spec tr6. this oil feed

line is complete bogus for a street-spec, stock TR6.

On my new engine with Goodparts roller rockers,i was advised that it should have  the additional feed,i found even with a 1mm hole in the fitting,it filled the rocker box with oil and subsequently filled the catch tank i had on the breather,not sure if this was because of excessive crankcase pressure or not.

Steve

more oil for rollers is a known idea but  going from a restricted pulsed feed from the cam journal to a pipe line even restricted is A LOT MORE oil

where you dont really need it maybe strangle it to 1/2 mm but drilling so small is not simple ...Oops   its broken the drill

anyone ever increased the length of the slot in the rear cam journal to increase to more  flow without flooding the top end  ????

pete

Hello Pete                

anyone ever increased the length of the slot in the rear cam journal to increase to more  flow without flooding the top end  ????

pete

Now that sounds like a much better option but how much to increase the slot?

Or how about a much longer slot and needle valve restrictor on the cylinder head?

Roger