Best Place for inline fuel filter

Adrian

Hi

Currently replanning the routing of the Fuel system on the bare chassis whilst there are no "tubs" to get in the way. Gut feeling being that a filter in the engine bay would be a "good" idea. Or in the Boot?, which would be the nearest to the tank and the most likely source of "debris".

Or Both (overkill?)

Pete

Edited by PeteH
Added Text

Pete,

If you can do it, place one before the pump and another after - it is a popular and common sense approach that works very well.

Do not scrimp on the size of the filter, I have seen many that would only be suitable for model cars !!

Regards.

Richard.

Hi

So the thinking would be to put one close to the tank?. and then AFTER the fuel pump.? So at the stage I am at provision to place one in (say) the boot, where it can be observed,. would be the option?.

Pete

Hello Pete,

The actual positioning will be where you have the space to fit and replace in due course; it makes no odds to the fore & aft position in relation to the pump as long as the filters are in situ.

Regards.

Richard.

I've put one in the boot on Toby (Mk3 Spitfire) as it was easy to do. I've adopted a slightly non-standard route for the pipe which puts the filter tucked away in a corner where it's not too vulnerable to luggage. On Tessa (and, I think, the GT6) the filter is in the engine bay just before the fuel pump. That's a better location, I reckon, for a retro-fit to an existing fuel system. If you're replacing all the pipes at the same time, using non-ferrous pipe, like I have on Toby, then either location should work just as well. I slightly wonder whether under the bonnet is easier for service replacement, although in the boot is going to remain cleaner and thus easier to inspect.

Fitting a second filter after the pump... will only really catch the stuff that's been through the pump and potentially already fouled up the valves, causing as much problem as it would in the carbs.

6 hours ago, NonMember said:

Fitting a second filter after the pump... will only really catch the stuff that's been through the pump and potentially already fouled up the valves, causing as much problem as it would in the carbs.

But would assist in helping to keep the carb; free of debris?.

Pete

Logically a second filter would only catch any debris that gets into the system after the pump, I can't see there being much risk of that.

Also to be of any benefit it would have to have a finer mesh than the first to trap anything missed by the first. Are there filters with differnt filter densities? I have not come across anysite mentioning differnt specifications.

I have one just before he pump and think it is all needed.

I think, if your fuel systems pretty clean anyway, then one filter between tank and pump should get anything (mine does does not appear to get dirty, though I change it every few years, as plastic and may start disintergrating). This is a step up from from factory spec, which I think was normally adequate anyway.  

Never had problems with crap, getting into carbs myself with this set up, though car is in regular use, so prob helps to stop rust/crud building up in pipes etc.

Extra filters could be making the pump work harder?.

Dave

As Chris and Dave said, unless you've got a particularly rotten fuel system, there should never be a need for a second filter. Crap can get in via the filler, or by flaking off a rusty tank. A filter between tank and pump deals with that. If stuff is being "generated" within the fuel pump you've got more serious problems.

That said, working the pump harder wouldn't be a bad thing on Tessa at the moment. I've had to put a pressure regulator in because the after-market electric pump was too aggressive.