Sloppy gear stick

PeaTear

I think I broke my spitfire tonight. Everything was grand when I went out for a drive then when I got home went to put it in 1st and the gear stick is wobbling about all over the place. I can still select gears but it's not nice.  Can anybody give any suggestions?  

Assuming it is not a spitfire 1500 (gearbox) then something is amiss with the remote gear linkage. About £10 for a rebuild kit (or was)

Downside is you have to take the gearbox tunnel out, not a favourite job of mine, but not difficult, just fiddly.Allow a good half day to complete the job....

• Thanks 1

Zwhen youget the kit and ready to dive in its got a few frustating parts  

If you need to change the spherical ball   getting the circlip off which sits on the stick can be a fiddle to loft it oit of its groove

And check the new kit  some  sphrical cups are razor edged , and need a quick file to smooth the edges or this will cut things to bits

Some 0 rings will not be needed 

There can be two types of pivot bushes  depends on the gear stick    so not all the parts are used 

The kit will include bushes for the mid shaft pivot  , the bolt in this only fits one way 

Pete

Parts now ordered. Hope they show up before the weekend. How do I get to the gearbox tunnel?  

Going off topic I noticed a pipe coming off the inlet (black with yellow stripe) manifold that is plugged with a bolt. I assume it's not supposed to be like this, but what is its purpose? 

20180418_162646.jpg

Hi Peatea

I had the same problem you had and got a kit which was very cheap...my nylon ball was completely smashed but as I am a Newbie I was able to repair it...(with help from chaps on the forum).

Its quite straight forward to do...will go for a test drive at the weekend to see if all is OK.

The gear lever is now really firm with no slack but I suspect it will loosen up over time.

Nautam

• Thanks 1

thats  a redundant take off for i guess a brake servo,, it needs removing and the hole fitted with a neat threaded plug.

there is a breather showing going to the rear carb,, it should i  reckon go to both is there a stub pipe on the front carb  blanked off ?? or the photo has some of the breather missing

you cant breath into one carb and not the other   thats very unbalanced mixture settings .

Pete

+1 for the broken plastic ball. Gear stick goes wobbly horizontally *and* vertically, but it's still possible to select gears. If it isn't the plastic ball, I would re-use the old one and keep the new as a spare. Wise words about that wretched bolt at the bottom of the stick which connects the linkage - remember which way it should go and in any case try selecting reverse *before* you put the tunnel back on!

Also, look for sharp edges on those cups *on the outside* as well. My "womble's nose" (stick boot) is now cut because I didn't check for this. Grrrrr!

Cheers, Richard

On 17/04/2018 at 10:58 AM, dougbgt6 said:

The screws in the kit are not the same as the originals, they have a much bigger head, I suspect metric. The price is probably down to the manufacture of the strange rectangular piece, necessary on the original cardboard tunnel, but do we need them on the poly tunnel, probably not.

As Pete says (that I said :wacko:) The rubber seal is not thick enough, I have pointed this out to Angie in the club shop and it should be replaced with something thicker. In the mean time I've bought some draught excluder form Wickes to add to the seal. Looks like I'm going back for Gorilla glue, thanks PaulH! :lol:

I think the lip is there to provide additional rigidity so I'm not sure grinding it down is the right thing to do. The other thing is does the additional lip put the alignment out? Will the tunnel be too high for the "H" bracket? Will the lip on the bulk head put the horizontal fixing holes out? I might find out today, although the grass REALLY does need cutting.  

Sorry, slight thread drift.

Doug

12 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

on my ...Vit6 I used a  MGB gaitor and chrome ring ,  needs a small ply platform to secure the ring but overall better looking

Vit6 2009 018.jpg

Hi Pete. I didnt know you were into your dials ?

Paul

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on my ...Vit6 I used a  MGB gaitor and chrome ring , overall better looking

No, it looks like an MG.... how could you???? Poor car will have an identity crisis.

In that pic of the exposed gearbox, those rear mountings look like they're a bit shreddy too?

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 0:18 PM, Pete Lewis said:

thats  a redundant take off for i guess a brake servo,, it needs removing and the hole fitted with a neat threaded plug.

Or fit a servo!

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

(Rear Mountings) So simple to do once you have them uncovered... might as well do it all at the same time, rather than have to undo it all later. Refill / change the gearbox oil while you're on a roll.

Also easy to overhaul the clutch slave cylinder.

And how about a new Polyurethane tunnel with sound/heat proofing?!! 

Open your wallet and say "Help yourself"

Doug