Sloppy gear stick

PeaTear

Woohoo.  All sorted. Thanks for all the help

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Or fit a servo!

Also easy to overhaul the clutch slave cylinder.

And how about a new Polyurethane tunnel with sound/heat proofing?!! 

Open your wallet and say "Help yourself"

Doug

Might fit a servo some day but I kind of like the brake as they are for now.  

Lots of new parts are already on the shopping list but won't be buying anything just yet

You have just found out how a relatively low cost kit can resolve the idea you need a new gearbox, keep that process in mind

Stick to the basics and many repairs can be ecconomical and you learn how to DIY most of the jobs you will encounter

Remember many must haves can end in tears,

Get a club reprint workshop manual on your wish list is a good start and a parts list can give detailed breakdown of component parts

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Just to milk this thread a little further - but on the topic of the gearlever linkage, not the servo take-off pipe..

I have just taken delivery of a linkage service kit for my Spitfire Mk3 and note that the domed washer that was nylon in the past - is now replaced by two steel components.  Ignoring the various pros and cons of the nylon item (mine is trashed), should any lube be put on the upper side of the retaining washer (128373) and the domed steel cap (119573), or should the two steel items just be left to rub together unlubricated?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated.  What have others done in the recent past..?

Thanks,
Graham

actually, I think I've just answered my own question.

A dry assembly is likely to be better, to avoid the creation of a grease based grinding solution.  At least if steel splinters do form in there, they will fall away and hopefully do no damage.  Grease would retain metal shards and create a grinding paste.

So a 'dry assembly' it is..

Its general to grease it up  being dry may induce some gear lever sizzle, whichnwas where the plastic cup came from

Do check the cups they can have nasty sharp cropped edges

Might make a metal one a  bit  knotchy,  but on a plastic it minces it to bits