Aspiring 2000 2500 2.5 Mk2 owner introducing himself

Hi all

Having searched for years, I now finally have a garage at my disposal, so feel confident and comfortable in looking for a classic car -- which will have to be in good condition as I don't have time for a project.

My taste is pretty much all over the place... but having two little monkeys running around my house means that something like a Porsche 944 is out -- I need more proper rear seats, with rear seat belts already fitted or at least the possibility of getting those installed. Several Triumphs are among my favourite cars including the Herald 1200 Convertible, Vitesse Convertible and Stag. However, what these all have in common is that they're not very spacious in the rear either, especially as I'm 6'6" myself and so need to have the driver's seat aaall the way back. But I also really like the 2000 2500 2.5 in Mk2 guise, so that's very high on my list. My recent encounter with a 2000 TC, described elsewhere on this forum has made me want one even more.

These cars are clearly not as common as they used to be anymore, but I enjoy scouring places like eBay and Car & Classic. I may post again soon with questions about specific cars for sale if that's OK. Meanwhile, needless to say if anyone knows of a good one then I would very much appreciate a heads up, either in this thread or via PM.

Will

having gone from ahairy Vitesse 6 to a Mk2 2000 for the reasons of getting 4 golden oldies ( well a poor mans menage et trois)

getting extra ladies in the back of the Vit6 was getting a bit close and personal,  

so the Mk2  2000 was found , looked tidy and the deal done,  the 2000 will never set the world on fire but has capable long legs 

the 2500 in any version has far more torque and if you need to chase a stag you dont need to thrash  it to get going

the 2000 is revy the 2500 doenst , just loves the grunt of more torque

if i chose to change i would prefer a 2500 and the simplicty of the s with carbs gets my vote 

pete

Power depends on the year  my mk2 2000 is a 74  the worst possible for lower bhp has twin SU and a mild flat cam

Should have done more homework before being taken by the low mileage and condition  amd I have a Hate of SU and now got two of them

There are lots of eveidence with owners having the tail end twitch ,and rear steering,  mine did but poly bush the trailing arms (guess the bushes were ooriginals and past and aged )   and clean and grease the shafts and theres not a twitch to be found .

Pete, I'm aware that these engines aren't the best for improving them, but if you would consider modifications then this thread on another forum might contain some relevant information? There's probably discussion of this topic on this forum as well, but I haven't checked yet.

And Colin, I totally agree those plates look horrendous -- like something off a Zimmer or some such monstrosity... (No offence intended to any Zimmer fans on here, but they're not my cuppa.)

Guys,

For a P registration this is the correct plate, so not concourse if you change it! :lol:  Black on White was introduced in 1973, I got a warning on an MOT for my 73 GT6 because it had white on black plates so I converted to black on white and black on yellow. DVLA have relaxed the rules in recent year but, I'm not going back to W/B I rather like B/W and B/Y as my car's yellow.

Doug

:lol:

Colin, we're looking at different cars. I was looking at Will's creamy coloured one, you're looking at nimchimpsky's blue one. Even I don't like the plate on the blue one, it's got an illegal font! Why don't people get nicked for that?!! :angry:

Doug

It's okay, I'll forgive you. (Waves a regal hand in Doug's general direction.) Actually, pressed black / silver plates aren't my favourites, I like the ones with the black plastic letters on yellow or white plates. I used to see them when young and they still remind me of those times, more than the pressed ones do. I think I'll get a set for my Herald, if / when it sees the road again.

I've just had to edit this, to add something I've observed on a few Classic Number Plate Manufacturer's sites. Some of them are claiming that the pressed black and silver plates are now legal for vehicles up to 1977 http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk and others are claiming it's 1975 http://framptonsplates.com/CarPlates.html but a rolling date. I don't think this is correct? You can't add a plate that ceased to be legal in 1973, for example, to a car made four years later and claim that it's a rolling exemption?

Colin,

Here is the  .gov.uk info leaflet

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/698421/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

Here's what it says about white on black plates. Clear as mud!

"Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ’black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). Since April 2018 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1978 can display the older style plates. You must:

• have applied to DVLA 

• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt from tax. The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April." 

That sounds like a rolling exemption?

Also this is what it says about fonts

"On 1 September 2001, new regulations introduced a standard font (style of lettering) for number plates, making them easier to be read. This change ended the use of italics and other styles of lettering that are difficult to read."

So are existing "funny" fonts illegal and need to be replaced?

Doug