Is this a leak ?

Paul H

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mark,

you're lucky, most remove the drain plug and NOTHING comes out! I spent hours trying to dig out the drain. My understanding is the drain is in a cavity, a cul-de-sac, the lowest point in the block cooling system and it doesn't matter that much if it's blocked. Surprised yours is leaking, can't you do it up a bit tighter?

Doug

I did put a socket on it and it felt tight - didn't want to go mad! 

The engine was "rebuilt" before I had it - and he seems to have done the cleaning side quite well, just not some of the bits that cost money. :lol:

Hi

Barrs leaks, is a product that's been around for years. Took over from "porridge" as the way to seal a leaking rad!. (and a handful of sawdust in the diff; to reduce noise!).  I have filled a square of the matrix with solder, using Acid to clean the copper and a Blowlamp. But the "piece de resistance" has to be cutting profiled Oak on a band-saw, driving it into the chassis of a Ford Thames van and bolting through, with bolts made from 6" Nails. To relocate the axle. Lasted for a couple years until the "10 year Test" Fail.:( ("unacceptable repair", probably stronger than Ford made it!). The thing`s Poverty stricken apprentices where forced to resort to!:rolleyes:

Pete

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 13/05/2018 at 11:42, dougbgt6 said:

Mark,

you're lucky, most remove the drain plug and NOTHING comes out! I spent hours trying to dig out the drain. My understanding is the drain is in a cavity, a cul-de-sac, the lowest point in the block cooling system and it doesn't matter that much if it's blocked....

Doug

My experience over the past several decades is that cleaning out that area and restoring a good flow out that drain inevitably results in a significantly cooler-running engine!

3 hours ago, Herald948 said:

My experience over the past several decades is that cleaning out that area and restoring a good flow out that drain inevitably results in a significantly cooler-running engine!

I think that's probably only because your efforts to clear out the drain have also removed crud and silt from other parts of the cooling system. Being able to drain it from the lowest point will make it easier to get all the crud out.

• Confused 1

On 07/05/2018 at 09:56, Paul H said:

Hi thanks for replies - will ring Anglia Radiators tomorrow to discuss - in the meantime need a plan B as confidence is suffering - Were away in 2 weeks in the Vitesse so need to fix asap - Assuming I had to purchase another radiator what spec would you suggest ? The idea of a Honda Civic rad ( cant find anything on Google yet ) sounds good but I cant weld .

Paul 

Although it sounds like this problem is solved I can recommend the use of an ally Civic rad in a Vitesse. I just bonded the required ally angle on to the sides of a 3 row rad (cost 50quid on ebay) using epoxy metal and bolted it into place using the original fixing points - if anything I went over the top as I should have used less aluminium and of a thinner grade. I did have to use a couple of short lengths of ally tube to match up the hose connections but the result is working extremely well.

• Thanks 1