Just bought my first Spitfire! Joining in for first time.

Can't add anything to the above. Welcome to the forum. Great bunch who know their stuff on here. Like Pete says keep it stock and get it working before you start playing with additional parts eg filters etc. 

• Like 1

Your fuel smell is likely to be 

158554 and UKC 793 on the diagram at https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-petrol-tank-all-markets-except-usa

.This is an unused vent pipe and 15855 is a Blank Cap Vent.  These deteriorate.  No longer available.  Most owners replace it with a short length of rubber fuel hose which they plug with suitable bolt.  Cheap easy fix for yourself.  Get you hands dirty! And welcome.

C.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Frank, so now you've got two babies eh.

I know you don't want to get too involved with tools etc but the small list Peter posted would easily fit in a shoebox and live in the boot. I'm sure you're already finding that most things are fairly basic and it's a shame to have to book it in somewhere everytime you have a minor niggle....and believe me there'll be lots of those.

On a similar topic I understand why you want to go for new wheels and bits and bobs, everyone has that first few weeks when they feel they have to spray their scent on a new motor like on old tom cat. But as I said above, things go wrong, and go wrong often. So if you're planning to send her to the garage everytime, I'd suggest holding on to that budget for a while.

I'm not being a little black rain cloud, she looks nice and shiny and the interior is good (small shame they didn't use one piece of veneer when whoever re-did the dash). But, all sorts might be lurking underneath, as one poster has already said, under the bonnet doesn't look that great, ditto the front shocks and springs. I'd reserve judgement for now about whether some of the other oily bits might need some attention. Hopefully not but I don't want you to become disappointed when these things inevitably crop up.

Have fun in the sun Frank, having no space for a baby seat is a big BIG plus. :)

5 hours ago, ShaunW said:

...what's that gauge on the left? Water temp and.....?

It looks like a combined water temperature (probably capillary) and oil pressure gauge to me. They're fairly common - my Vitesse had one for a while. Original fit on some MGs, I believe.

• Thanks 1

I notice the hood has not been folded down properly...there is a certain way to fold the hood when it is down so you don't get creases in the clear plastic at the back...just type up hood folding on triumph spitfire on youtube...

The car looks great but a crappy looking hood due to poor folding may spoil the look!

Nautam

• Sad 1

@Casper - Thank you so much for that, now I know the garageman can't charge me silly money! how long have you been a Triumph fan for?

@ShaunW - That was amazing fatherly advice and it really made me feel that this forum is showing genuine care and respect for eachother. I am so thankful for that.Totally agree I need to start getting my hands dirty and I will order the toolset now. 

For the first couple of months my hands are really tied up and I want to make sure that the motor starts off in great condition from the get go, anything after I will do my own DIY.

I have saved a little budget to get everything mechanically sound and also ordered a few bits and bobs online so that I don't get ripped off by the Garage.

So far i've ordered:

HARDTOP REAR SCREEN SEAL
WINDSCREEN CAPPING 
HEADLAMP RIM
REAR VIEW MIRROR 
B'POST CAPPING
ASH TRAY ASSEMBLY
TREAD/KICK PLATE 'TRIUMPH' LOGO 
Steel Chrome Gauge Dials
Footwell Lighting
Hard Top form Ebay which is currently being painted

I am quite pedantic when it comes to attention to detail - so the above things were needed to really make everything look up to scratch, now my focus is on engine and suspension. 

This is the to do list i'll be taking to the garage as I don't really have the time to get my hands dirty, and just want the end product so I can drive it out in the Summer around the corner.

P.S The roof will be addressed in the future.

1) Service the car
2) Bad smell of oil / petrol coming in to the cabin - could possibly be a unused vent pipe.
3) Driver side door knocking when opening - bolt needs tightening
4) Install ordered parts: 
Chrome headlight rims 
windscreen cap, 
post caps, 
kick plates 
rear view mirror 
chrome rings to gauges
 ash tray 
re-do any missing or rusted bolts/screws
windscreen metal trim"
5) Fit carpet set in boot - with light
6) Fix heater knobs - not moving
7) Gauge lighting - make sure all bulbs are working
8) Install footwell lighting
9) Indicator is not self cancelling when turning left, it seems to work when turning right.
10) Straighten gauges and and change bezels to chrome
11) Install radio and speaker wires - I can provide the units
12) Exhaust is too loud - can this be quitened?

Picture attached - got my delivery today from Rimmerbros, each item was packaged in brown paper - reminded me of grocery shopping in the states!

Will keep you guys posted for what happens this Friday at Moordale Motors :)

IMG_5683.jpg

23 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

can you post a picture of the tail pipes

Pete, The first post does show the rear with a set of twin wheel barrow exhausts on - so probably full sports? 

Mine now has the same and its ok - though not been for a very long run in it yet - Sunday will be the longest it will have had (Assuming its not peeing it down when we leave!)

• Thanks 1

@Pete Lewis Exhaust photos attached - I think it is an Sports Exhaust.

Fortunately I will only do local driving and not so much on the motorways so it's kind of bearable - however when I drove it back to London from Leicester my ears were ringing!

I will see if it's within my budget and perhaps get them replaced for my second phase of updates i.e soft top, alloys + tyres in the near future.

btw would love to see your guys rides too! 

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

3 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Mine has a mid section silencer as well as the two at the back - when not booting it, it is quiet ? only a little loud when accelerating 

Do you know where you can get just the midsection? I've got a love/hate relationship with my loud exhaust. I'd probably love it more if the g-force was proportional to the dB level. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

Do you know where you can get just the midsection? I've got a love/hate relationship with my loud exhaust. I'd probably love it more if the g-force was proportional to the dB level. 

I bought mine 2nd hand - but it came from rimmers originally 

• Thanks 1

Last year I replaced my old stainless exhaust, nothing wrong with the stainless steel, but the welds had rotted and the internal baffles had detached. Lifetime guarantee when I bought it, but only lasted 40 years, who did I buy it from? No idea. :lol:.

Looked at and heard quite a few of the club cars at area meetings before I decided what to put on.

Full sport "wheel barrow"  Far too loud and a pain on longer journeys. 

Semi sport, again loud and the rear box looks "odd". Rear box half the width of the standard and the dual pipes come out the side and turn at right angles. Just doesn't look right. 

So back to the standard, looks right and the understated burble of a straight six. The standard system has the centre box, don't know if this s suitable for a Spitfire. Bought the new exhaust from the club shop, give them a ring I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the centre box, if it fits.

Doug

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Last year I replaced my old stainless exhaust, nothing wrong with the stainless steel, but the welds had rotted and the internal baffles had detached. Lifetime guarantee when I bought it, but only lasted 40 years, who did I buy it from? No idea. :lol:.

Looked at and heard quite a few of the club cars at area meetings before I decided what to put on.

Full sport "wheel barrow"  Far too loud and a pain on longer journeys. 

Semi sport, again loud and the rear box looks "odd". Rear box half the width of the standard and the dual pipes come out the side and turn at right angles. Just doesn't look right. 

So back to the standard, looks right and the understated burble of a straight six. The standard system has the centre box, don't know if this s suitable for a Spitfire. Bought the new exhaust from the club shop, give them a ring I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the centre box, if it fits.

Doug

My GT6 runs the standard rear box, but no centre box, which I believe is the Mk 2 system. According to the old paperwork I have, it was supplied and fitted by Canleys. Not sure where the twin pipes divide, but that could be another option if it's at the same point as the single box pipe connects.

Gully

• Thanks 1

If you have black bezels I think you will find they are chrome underneath.                                                                                                                                                    Ray

• Thanks 1