ahebron

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

So apart from multiple holes in 1

1 hub puller

2 starter bendix clamp

3 rawl bolt for removing flywheel spigot brearing 

Pete

Hello Smart A***e

No 3 was for a different job but similar.

So now I will see if I can find the obscure ones(but they maybe motorcycle related!)

Roger

ps the 1st one was just and old piece of 1/2" thick steel that was lying about and the puller I bought years ago for some job long forgotten but has a nice 5/8" fine thread and has saved me ££££££,s just my time and I work for nothing for myself !

I think the top 4 prog tool is for piercing holes in a tournou  cover for the turn  buckel plates .                                                                                                                        ATB Ray

What I did FOR my Triumph today.

I have a pit in my garage.    It's mostly used only for oil changes., and I have to get a step ladder out andlower it into the pit to use it.

I had some 1" square tube left over from another project, so I made it into a ladder and bolted it to the wall.  I won't have to mnove the car so far back next time!

Not exactly difficult to work out, but there you go...

P1030951.jpg.669108f3f147ddb20e1160e81f5665ff.jpg

Never had a problem with fumes in the pit.

I would say, that ladder arrangement is like my current pit and I wish the builder had not done it that way. My old pit had a (wooden) set of steps, which was much nicer, but mostly because they were at a 25deg angle to vertical. You have enough length there, I would definitely have set the bottom a foot further away from the wall to make access/egress easier.

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Personally, I think that an open pit is much more of a fall risk, than a fume risk.  At least with a built in ladder, I can now pull myself out again, even if I do break a leg!

JOhn

Just wait till winter when it will fill up and freeze.

No danger of falling in but be careful of slipping:P

Adrian

14 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Perhaps its just me (And I would really love a pit!) but I always have that nagging thing about the risk of fumes in the pit. 

I think most of the nasty fumes rise rather than puddle so it shouldn't be an issue. If in doubt, or it's a hot day, stick an old desk fan down there; an extention socket or two fixed to the wall down there is useful. 

• Like 1

That pit has given me an idea about how to save on my funeral plans. A couple of meters of readymix shouldn't cost too much and 'it's what he'd have wanted' 

Joking aside I looked into it once, you're allowed to so long as it gets noted on the deeds, but unfortunately that would bring the house value down by more than you'd save. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

The picture doesn't show it well, but the rungs are a good three inches from the wall.  A foot!?   My clog fits onto it nicely!

It's not so much the absolute clearance as the fact that it looks to be parallel to the wall and thus vertical. I find that really awkward as I'm "hanging on" to the ladder when I should just be climbing it.

Biggest risk is the accumulation of fuel vapors heavier than air including petrol and butanes mixing with unsafe electrical equipment.

The following is taken from HSE Guidance note 261 (2009)

. Preventing fire and asphyxiation
228 Pits are likely to have poor natural ventilation so the release of any low
flashpoint substance or heavier-than-air gas above or near a pit can create fire/
explosion and asphyxiation risks. To reduce these risks:
■ ■ do not carry out pit work on non-diesel tanks or associated fuel lines where
there is a risk of release. Do not carry out any hot work on or near any tank or
fuel line, including diesel systems;
do not store portable LPG heaters, or other LPG-fuelled devices, in or near pits ■ ■
in case they leak;
before carrying out pit work on air-conditioning units, empty the refrigerant with ■ ■
a proprietary system well away from the pit area;
do not weld in a pit unless effective local exhaust ventilation is provided;■ ■
use fixed lighting in the pit that is suitable for potentially explosive atmospheres ■ ■
and conforms to a suitable standard;
use handlamps of special construction, that have been designed and tested to ■ ■
prevent ignition in flammable atmospheres (see paragraphs 266-283 for further
details);
do not leave vehicles idling over pits unless there is dedicated exhaust extraction.

Always think about your own safety and means of exit. 

• Like 1

Hi

Whilst One is too many, I would venture to suggest that severe incidents related Directly to the use of a working pit are in the "negligible" range. They where in regular use in most garages, prior to the "invention" of the cheaper option of the Post lift. Early versions of which where the cause of fatalities and severe injury. necessitating the insistence by insurers and the HSE of 6MONTHLY regime of examination. Early ones did not have the mechanical "locks" which are now mandatory either.

There are (where in the 90`s anyway) still many workshops maintaining HGV`s, where all "underside" work was carried out over pits. Virtually, if not all Locomotive work is still carried using pits too.

It is sensible to have a ventilation system, to ensure a proper exchange of air is carried out, and is best linked to the operation of the lighting (light on, Fan On). I have personally done Oxy-Acetalene gas welding in a pit. And examined many a Steam Traction engine using one, Far easier than lying on one`s back and wriggling to access the fire-box!. I can tell you!.

Pete