Online publishing ridiculously cheap! TSSC should use it!

JohnD

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Just been forced onto fibre by BT, no noticeable difference.

test.PNG.438c18177ae27f91e61a27ac1574dc81.PNG 

db

My speed went from about 100kbps - on a good day, sometimes it was about 35kbps - to around 34mbps when I moved house and got fibre; both were BT but I was 4 miles from the exchange, now I'm 50 feet from the green box. I used to leave the computer updating for three or four days for basic software updates; now it does the same in 20 minutes which includes installation time. One thing I've noticed, though - if someone else in the house is on the Net - Netflix, or surfing on a phone - it boots my computer off and I get the message: "Your connection to the server has been lost.".

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 22:13, JohnD said:

I started this thread bya dmitting how boring I am about this, and I'm going to bore you even more.

In the US the SVRA, the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association, is the body that leads classic car racing, and like most clubs it has its own magazine.   And surprise, surprise, it's electronic!

The latest edition features a report from the Kastner Cup  at Mid-Ohio, and you can read it here!   Or rather, there: https://www.flipsnack.com/thesvra/stq-7-3/full-view.html

And while you read it, just appreciate the quality of the pictures, the readabilty of the text, how easy it is to 'turn' the pages.     Surely, in a rational world, a club like TSSC would want to have somnething as good as this as its organ?     Even if they had to jump thorugh the hoops set up by the treasurer that ringfence the print Courier.

John,

We do !

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/courier.asp

It started with the July 2020 Courier :P

Excellent, Kevin!   You are dragging the TSSC, kicking and screaming, into the 21st!    Well done!

I may be allowed a further carp, why limit access to issues that are up to thirty yeyars old to Members Only?    Even academic journals (some of them anyway) allow access to back numbers.

44 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I may be allowed a further carp, why limit access to issues that are up to thirty yeyars old to Members Only?    Even academic journals (some of them anyway) allow access to back numbers.

John,

The old Courier Archive from the DVD collection is open  to ALL, not just members only - that's Couriers 1 to 414.

Then there is a gap, where the more recent ones haven't been prepared for display (yet)

Then we have the new Couriers from July 2020 onwards, plus the index masquerading as Courier 474, that are for TSSC members only.

I don't quite understand why the index is members only, as its on the Forum open for all to read http://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/TECH%20DIRECT%20CD%202006.pdf

52 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Excellent, Kevin!   You are dragging the TSSC, kicking and screaming, into the 21st!    Well done!

We're getting into the realms - yet again - of "why bother to join at all?" if everything is free to non-members.

Ah, my bad, as they say, Kevin!

This year's "members only".  2014 and previous, freely available.   Excellent.

And in answer to Colin, the Archive is a 'shop-window' to show prospective members why they should join and receive the Courier!

John

10 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Ah, my bad, as they say, Kevin!

Always detested that term... I think it was invented by the same guy who wrote the instruction manuals for some Far Eastern cars.

My fault, my mistake, my error, yes. My bad? Where does that come from? 'My goodness', ok, but 'my badness'?

13 minutes ago, JohnD said:

And in answer to Colin, the Archive is a 'shop-window' to show prospective members why they should join and receive the Courier!

Which is the same as letting people stand and read Practical Classics off the shelves in Tescos. They'll get to like it, get great help from it, and maybe, one day, actually pay for a copy... :)

'Introductory offers' they're called, John. Freeloading for years is something I don't do. I use other Triumph forums and they all have members areas; I don't pay, so it's only fair I don't get access to everything - I'm grateful for other members giving of their time and expertise to help people like me who aren't fully-paid members, but Clubs have overheads and expenses and I'll pay my share.