Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

That is disturbingly reminding me of Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler,  purveyor of questionable foodstuffs, originator fo the rat-on-a-stick-treat, of Ankh-Morpork.

John

A drink from the Ankh would quite probably rob a man of his memory, or at least cause things to happen to him that he would in no account wish to recall

I once had a house that had a greenhouse, that had a vine!    I made wine from the grapes, but being a beginner left the 'must', the grapes, in the ferment for far too long.  The rssult was more resinous than any rough Greek retsina.  So it lamnguished in the loft for a few years.

I found it again and being adventurous wonderd what it was like now.  It had matured!  And tasted like port!    Almost as alcoholic too.

Nothing wrong with home made wine!  At least to anyone who has drunk from the Ankh river!

John

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I once had a house that had a greenhouse, that had a vine!    I made wine from the grapes, but being a beginner left the 'must', the grapes, in the ferment for far too long.  The rssult was more resinous than any rough Greek retsina.  So it lamnguished in the loft for a few years.

I found it again and being adventurous wonderd what it was like now.  It had matured!  And tasted like port!    Almost as alcoholic too.

Nothing wrong with home made wine!  At least to anyone who has drunk from the Ankh river!

John

You're onto a winner there! 

I had a similar experience with elderberry wine, made it, tasted it, disappointed put it in a cupboard. 2 years later found it, tasted it, nectar! Elderberries are very fiddly to pick and prepare, they say that if only they were the size of grapes nobody would bother with grape wine. We are soon approaching sloe picking season. Sloe gin, the magic elixir that keeps mother alive.

db

• Like 1

Ah! Cider! As a youth, group hols in Cornwall, Mousehole;  The Ship had 'scrumpy' on tap.

I'll have a pint, landlord, please!   Ah!  (or Aarrrggghh!) you'm not used to scrumpy, you'm be having an 'alf!   

And my goodnesss, he was right!  Gunpowder!

John

• Haha 1

I made some beer a couple of years ago. Read the instructions "add 1 pound of sugar". Grabbed a bag out of the cupboard, emptied it in, left it for a couple of weeks. Took ages to ferment out. was very tasty, but with a kick like rocket fuel. Mrs BW asked me if I had used all of the 1kilogram bag from the cupboard!!!  Worked it out from the records of specific gravity I made at the time that it was about 12% alcohol by volume. Should have tried it in the Spitfire fuel tank.

My Dad, a seasoned beer drinker tried some once, described it a "lunatic's broth" and refused to drink any more.

Around here it is quite common when there is a party of some kind for someone to bring a bottle of golden coloured liquid in a bottle that originally had something else in. Not a sample of ' you know what' but home made Calvados. Last week was true to form a communion celebration with some friends.

The quality varies from - would blow the cyclinder of my Herald to pure nectar. When I asked the owner or the recycled Pastis bottle how old it was he wasn' t sure but at least 20 years.

I miss the small of the travelling stil in the autumn as I pass certain neighbours. Yes it was legal. ???

On 15/06/2018 at 8:43 PM, JohnD said:

Ah! Cider! As a youth, group hols in Cornwall, Mousehole;  The Ship had 'scrumpy' on tap.

Snap! The same pub and probably around the same time as I think we are of a similar vintage. I had traveled there to visit a friend who was staying in the village and had 2 pints of the very cloudy stuff. It was like being kicked in the head. I had planned to sleep in my car which was parked on the harbour wall, and I did manage to find my way back to it, but I clearly wasn't able to operate the door lock. Some fishermen found me in the morning, fast asleep under the car. Never drunk cider since.

Adrian

I once made alcoholic ginger beer in plastic 2ltr bottles.  Really nice.

I threw one into the kitchen bin that had started to look a bit odd. I went out and when i got back the lid of the bin was 10 feet away and the whole side of the plastic bin had been blown apart!

Drinking is dangerous!

OK, Paula!

As a student, our group did the Summer Holiday thing, driving not a bus but a campervan to Greece and back.    Camped outside Athens, to find that it was holding a Wine Festival!    Gosh, the Gods are good to us!   Free samples at every booth!

But next morning, no food, not even any coffee.  OK, I'll drive to the supermarket.   I was in gear, as another shouted NO! NO! Don't move!      Some of us hadn't made it into the tents and were still sleeping it off UNDER the van, and had slept on as the engine rumbled into life.

Just saying.

John

PS just think what that exploding ginger beer would do to your insides!

• Haha 1