LVLP Paint Spraying

Simonig10

Been a while since I last posted, but after looking sadly at the Herald in tha garage the other day. think its about time I get the old girl painted. I have played about with a HVLP setup a while back but was little more than the type of thing they use to spray fake tan etc. Seemed to put primer on okay (lots of overspray) but cant see it being any good for top coat.

I have ben doing a bit of research and there is a new type of spray gun called a LVLP (low vol low pressure). This can use a compressor with a lot lower CFM rating. I wonder if anyone has tried any of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Lvlp-Gravity-Feed-Spray-Gun-1-3-Set-Up-600ml-Pot-4-3CFM-Kit-In-Case-/111421870415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19f142d14f

I am wondering if it will run off a 50 litre compressor. In theory it should but wondered what others think etc.

I have my eye on a few compressors on Ebay second hand but if going for something new, may splash out on something like:

Cheap 50l one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-Gallon-50LTR-2-5HP-Air-Compressor-Electric-New-50-LTR-50L-/130659658926?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item1e6bec2cae

Better 50L one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-50-Litre-Air-Compressor-V-Twin-14-5-CFM-3-HP-L-50L-8-Bar-118-PSI-/221689065522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339db2b032

Will be spraying cellulose. I have seen the Apollo turbine spray units but would like a compressor as can use for other things,

What model of compressor did you use? Did you go for the LVLP setup? Did the compressor run much as you sprayed?

It is a SIP Airmate Cirrus 34025, about 20 years old.

I have used it with a cheap conventional gun running at about 50-60 psi, and also a small HVLP one running at 30 psi.

The compressor does start up intermittently as I spray.

Hello.

If you use a 25L compressor for spraying it will become breathless and restart on a very frequent basis.

This will cause the spray gun to splatter. To be honest 25L is only suitable for those doing model painting or pumping up footballs !!

If you intend to use a compressor for other jobs, which I'm sure you will - then you need to be looking at minimum 50L with a 3HP supply.

I've had a look on Ebay and something like this is ideal and at a good price Ebay 351308047855 with postage included.

The Sealey red units (as shown) are far better than their slightly cheaper black units.

Finally, these units are suitable for running from single phase 13amp; whereas some 3HP units require 16amp ring (such as Woolf units).

Hope that assists ?? 

Best wishes.

Richard.

If you use a 25L compressor for spraying it will become breathless and restart on a very frequent basis.

This will cause the spray gun to splatter. 

That has not been my experience. I have had some very satisfactory results with a 25L compressor, although obviously it makes sense to buy the best you can afford and a 50L machine would be better.

I agree with Colin on his view regarding the Apollo Spraymate - it's an excellent home-base system and is far more impressive than it looks.

If all you are intending to do is spray then it is well worth putting this on your "probable list" 

I have seen the results of these in professional hands & home DIY sprayers - all have been tip-top.

If you do go for one of these; may I suggest brand new rather than second-hand.

You can pick them up for about £100 new; second hand (unless unused) is not IMHO a viable option as the price difference is not always great.

Regards.

Richard.

Ive put on some spray filler with a similar unit to the one in Colin's picture. Seemed okay but the noise was loud and the big hose was a bit restrictive. I was looking for a compressor anyway to use for other projects and decided to bite the bullet. I have finally settled on a Zephyr 3hp twin with 50l tank. Looks good and with standard spray gun attached seems to give lots of air before needing to start up. The LVLP gun set I have bought is a Fastmover FMT4007 which has 2 needles so can do top and undercoat. Will see how I get on....

That is a decent choice and with twin outlets you get the advantage of not having to stop to change over hoses.

50L will give you plenty of air before needing to recharge and by then you will have probably sprayed the section you want to in full.

Items like air sanders use a lot of air and require a decent output - your compressor will deal with that no problem.

Once you have used it [compressor] a couple of times, you will never look back !!

As with all compressors just keep an eye on the oil level and the water trap if your unit comes with one.

Regards.

Richard.

Dual sanders use a lot of air, but orbital less so - normally about 4cfm @ 90psi.

The Zephyr 3hp knocks out about 14.5cfm, so with that capacity you will be fine with an orbital - but no chance with a dual unit.

If you multiply your air-tool requirement by 3.5 / 4, then that will give you an approximate requirement for CONTINUOUS running.

Yes the tank will stop more often than HVLP spraying; but you have to draw the line somewhere. I'd rather the tank stop when sanding rather than on the last sweep of a top coat !!

When the tank stops that usually signals time to have a slug of tea !!

Regards.

Richard.    

The LVLP spray kit comes with a water trap and a small pressure gauge so you can adjust at the gun. I think it only runs at about 21psi for spraying. I plugged a normal spray gun into the compressor and gave it a go and you can do a lot before it kicks in. One with a bigger tank would have been nice but takes up so much space and costs a bit more than I wanted to pay. Just waiting on some couplers to fit it all together. There looks to be a Wolf equivalent of mine where it seems to need a dedicated high wattage feed (like a shower) but this one runs on 13A no probs (flu tube flickered a bit in garage when first powered on).

I like the Wolf 3HP units, BUT - as you say it requires a supply from a 16amp ring (single phase). If you try to run these units on a normal ring main where you have (and should have) RCD's they will keep tripping more often than not on start-up. 

It's a pity that Wolf have not dealt with this issue, because they are exceptionally good products at a very decent price. In fairness it is not just Wolf compressors that have this problem.

Like a lot of electrical devices, the initial start-up always draws a slightly higher amp - exactly the same with a car electric fan.

Regards.

Richard.