Steering Rack Clamp Anomaly?

Hi

Started to reassemble the steering rack back to the chassis, Have just noticed that the two clamps which hold the Rack are of different design?. Checking both the Herald and Vitesse manuals show the same as the Canley 13/60 view. So no clues there!. I rather suspect that using either in any location will cause no issues, but I am intrigued to know why the design is different (See pic`s). The Manual shows as Pic 2.

I have also seen somewhere that the rack should have a "preload" on the rubber bushes, but cannot locate the reference.?.

image.thumb.jpeg.72cf821c5a9151db303978bef7aa1acb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1795adb6cd12e031cda9e2a4e69bd745.jpeg

All my Triumphs have the same as photo 2 on both sides. I don't recall ever seeing the first type but, like you say, it looks like it should be OK.

The pre-load on the rubber is tricky to find specs for. It doesn't need to be huge, just some. My usual method is to squeeze both clamps to the rack "a bit" with mole-grips both sides (so four mole grips in total) while doing up the bolts to the chassis. Don't forget to push those lower plates hard against the inner flanges of the mounting plates, so that they hold the tension on in service.

Hi

Thanks for that Information, Ref Clamping. As for the Clamp differentiation I can only assume that it might be a feature of (perhaps) a Spit or GT-6?. Maybe?. The rack is in very good condition, just needed a coat of paint and a good clean, so I assume it had been replaced / refurbished at some point?.

Edit:-

Just had a Thought, had a look at the GT-6 Mk3 on the Canley site. The bracket is shown as per my Pic 1. So it would suggest the the Rack had been swapped out at some point and the wrong clamp used.

Pete

Update:- Fitted the rack this pm. stripped the U-Bolt on the driver side!! Not the nut. (Curses) have now ordered 2 of the correct type from Canley. As this is a Service critical Part I am not going to chance it, nor do I want to "bodge".

Pete