1967 GT6 Mk1 Dashboard Dials

Jammin

Hi,

I'm restoring a mk1 and wondered if anyone knew how I can identify what sort of dials it should have? I have a combo of smiths and jaeger ones but don't know how to find out which belong to the actual car. I have the heritage certificate and all chassis/engine numbers etc (they match, amazingly).

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,

I'm restoring a mk1 and wondered if anyone knew how I can identify what sort of dials it should have? I have a combo of smiths and jaeger ones but don't know how to find out which belong to the actual car. I have the heritage certificate and all chassis/engine numbers etc (they match, amazingly).

Cheers,

Ben

Ben, Neil Fletcher, a TSSC member has a MK1 and may well be able to help you. If the PM thingy is working i can give you his contact details privately or I'm sure if you ring the Club Angie will pass them on.

John

Thanks guys. I knew they were similar inside, I just need to identify which ones go with the car. I bought the car as a bit of a job lot so I have a combination of mk1/2/3 parts although the chassis and engine I have are both original to GJL 141E which is the mk1 I'm building.

Personally I prefer the jaeger ones but want to keep it original where possible.

John - I'll give the pm thing a go.

Pete - thanks for the link

Ben

They should have orange needles for starters. That will weed out the Vitesse and / or Spitfire ones.

I think they are all Smiths, I'll have to check later.

The speedo (?) should only have 1 tell-tale light at the bottom, Mk2/3 have more than 1, HRW perhaps?

The other large gauge has teh standard 3 tell-tales.

Cheers

Colin

Just been outside and looked at mine in the garage - it's a long term restoration project that has been off the road since 1986, so it's likely that the dials are original.

Comparing my dials with NeilF's, my fuel gauge, temperature gauge and rev counter are the same, but my speedometer is slightly different.

My Speedo is still a 140mph one, with an orange needle and the three jewel lights as per NeilF's, but it is marked from 10mph to 130mph in 20mph increments, rather than 0mph to 140mph in 20mph.

Ben, 

My Mk1 has all Smith dials in accordance with John Thomason's Guide to Originality, and also shows Smith's for Mk2 & 3 but the Mk1 has chrome bezels.  Speedo should have 3 jewel lights and be 0-140 in 20mph steps.

For some reason when I restored mine I seem to have transposed speedo and tacho positions; what an admission but they still work fine!

Dick