Stub Axle Vitesse M2

Hi stripping down the front hubs to upgrade the wheel stubs from 3/16 to Freelander M12 studs - Having alloys there is not much thread ( 6 turns ) on the wheel nuts and not comfortable with that .

Anyway heres a pic of the stub axle - Is this just in manufacturing and ok - The bearings dont touch this area so assuming the stub axle is ok - The other side has no visible defects 5b211d878e6e2_stubaxle.thumb.jpg.5f884c846c120c835383c45d62101d30.jpg

Any input welcomed 
Paul 

yes thats fine its just the unmachined rough casting /forging  its quite normal

most M12 i have  fitted have been too long and required shortening  , done a few with cone and spigoted nuts  not had too short  set

some needed a small chamfer to clear the register on the back of the hub   so dont have an answer other than you have short ones   !! ha 

just to add the 7/16" from 2000 saloon and some TR fit  easy as alternative to metric moderns

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Pete , Freelander Studs Part no CLP9073L arrived today together with Captive Nuts M12 - 1.5mm ( Chrysler Challenger ) and look like they will fit - The chamfer is fine and they fit flush to the front hub .

With a trial fit up to the alloy wheel the Captive Nut doesnt bottom out ( I have also purchased open end nuts suitable for steel wheels for the spare ) . I am following the write up  by Darren Groves .  Once Ive proved and fitted all 4 wheels I will put up  details in a new post for future reference 

Check out the pic and there is a big difference with Stud size , about 40% longer & 7/16" compare to 3/8"  diameter

Rather than disturb the rear hub I will be following Darren's suggestion of drilling the back plate to allow stud access then blanking off with a grommet 

freelander1.thumb.jpg.a508d23aae7cd772af9e516832f91307.jpg

Paul 

try to waggle the rear studs in with  the shoes off ,    mine went in ok

did the Vit6  soon after fitting the alloys in 2004    the old forum had some good examples  now lost 

you wont shear or loose the bigger studs , makes you wonder how the tiddy ones ever lasted ,there again many didnt and wheels past by

its a  realy good and worthwhile upgrade 

Pete