Fitting Longer Wheel Studs - Vitesse Mk2

Sounds plausable...though not looked. Plan b would be some M12 (or 7/16) alloy wheel nuts, and lathe the business end down to suit the plastic trims. Trims may need drilling out a bit too

I drilled trims, and use allow wheel nuts but they have started pulling through the trims now. Will make some sort of washer, out if a sheet of polypropylene.

18 hours ago, rlubikey said:

I'm guessing that Triumph 7/16" studs and TR6 nuts would look fairly original on a Mk4 or 1500 Spit. Can anyone confirm this, or suggest alternatives please?

Cheers, Richard

17 hours ago, clive said:

Sounds plausable...though not looked. Plan b would be some M12 (or 7/16) alloy wheel nuts, and lathe the business end down to suit the plastic trims. Trims may need drilling out a bit too

I drilled trims, and use allow wheel nuts but they have started pulling through the trims now. Will make some sort of washer, out if a sheet of polypropylene.

Thanks Clive. Sorry to hear your modified trim wheeze isn't quite working out as expected. I'm slightly nervous of machining a groove on a nut, but at least this gives me the opportunity to bump my "original look" question onto page 2 :ph34r:

Cheers, Richard

Richard, if you copy the 1500 type nuts, but make them say 3-4mm bigger diameter, you should be fine. The 12mm studs are only 2.5mm bigger diameter than the old ones, so you end up with more wall thickness. And drill the plastic trims to suit. Think I only have 2 spare sets of trims, may be worth a go...

Or....what about tuner nuts?? A groove and circlip etc.....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Studs I bought are Britpart, been taking another look at this using a spare rear drive shaft complete with brake drum etc. Thread length is marginal when used with steel wheels, but if I drilled out some of the nut thread from the cone end it would in my opinion still leave plenty and the nut would fit further on the stud.

Any thoughts.

Regards

Paul

Just a word of warning about supplied nuts if using m12 studs. Richard found on his "D1" replica wheels the nuts wouldn't fit (it may be the nuts would fit, but no space for a socket? But that is still an issue) I guess as the wheels are drilled assuming the smaller nuts.

In the end he used "tuner" nuts, problem solved.

4 minutes ago, clive said:

Just a word of warning about supplied nuts if using m12 studs. Richard found on his "D1" replica wheels the nuts wouldn't fit (it may be the nuts would fit, but no space for a socket? But that is still an issue) I guess as the wheels are drilled assuming the smaller nuts.

In the end he used "tuner" nuts, problem solved.

The John Brown Wheels "Minilites" accept standard M12 Captive nuts 

Paul