More on MOT exemption

dougbgt6

Mot this morning.... And she passed! Couple of advisories that we decided were just an advisor-me. 

Fuel pipe runs a bit too close to the half shaft. Trunion bolt needs a pound or two extra tightening. Left headlight a tad high. 

They did an emissions test, 76 is a crossover year. 294/1200 on the HC (so she's not burning oil). 9.09%/4.5% on the CO which he thought was near enough and a tune should bring it down? I'm pretty clueless about su's so for a screwdriver and guesswork job I feel reasonably happy. 

For me just being a driveway mechanic, I've done a lot on this car, all new suspension, brakes etc etc so I'm a happy boy. Brake balance was almost perfect. (annoying weep from the freshly installed gearbox and but hey ho, sun's shining so I'm not going to let it get me down.) 

I think a new wide rad is needed though. She got a bit hot ticking over on the ramp and the temp needle was straining a bit driving a couple of miles back though town. 

Job done. (ish) 

Good result! You should be proud!

On my 1500 Spitfire it's always a chore to tune for the emissions test - it drives like a bag-o-crap when set-up for the test (no power at all above about 4K rpm.)

I need to try some different needles to see if I can get it closer on tick-over but still keep the top-end pull.

Cheers yorkshire, I am a little bit actually. Turned out that the lad they had test it for me owns an MG. No wonder he was impressed with the general high quality of engineering ?

I saw more MGs on the road this weekend than I thought they'd ever made, another reason I love my Triumph. 

I fitted a wide rad to my 1500 - when I took the old one out it was rotting in the corner by the expansion bottle - I think mine came from canleys. Easy job to change tbh - though I also replaced the frame - at the time I think Paddocks were the only place to have one in stock - a manufacturing issue I think. 

unless your frame is in good condition for the cost it’s worth changing it. I painted mine with buzzweld black rcp I think it was before fitting to give it a chance! 

Well done on the MOT - I’ve a few bits to do on mine before I get it looked at. Not going to MOT it though. Mostly on principle ?

I've seen them on ebay yorkshire for 102. Seems fairly reasonable but I haven't looked around much yet. Frame? Mines just held on by 2 bolts at the bottom and the hoses! I bought an old frame from ebay for a fiver ages ago but it didn't fit the rad I've got because it's tall and extends below the chassis, maybe it will work with a wide rad? 

Angel, I was like that about the mot, but I decided my fragile ego needed the boost more than I needed to prove a point. :) I'm also quite looking forward to the day someone official turns his nose up at something and I have my 'ta da!' moment and whip out my unexpected official doc. 

Oh one last thing they spotted, missing bump stops on the front susp upper arms (he knew his stuff), it's getting to be quite a list for something that sailed through eh. But to be fair I didn't even know they should be there so it's been a useful exercise in knowing my limits. 

16 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

Oh one last thing they spotted, missing bump stops on the front susp upper arms (he knew his stuff), it's getting to be quite a list for something that sailed through eh. But to be fair I didn't even know they should be there so it's been a useful exercise in knowing my limits. 

Bump stops? On the front? Upper? On a Spitfire? I begin to wonder what "stuff" he knew...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

Mines just held on by 2 bolts at the bottom and the hoses! I bought an old frame from ebay for a fiver ages ago but it didn't fit the rad I've got because it's tall and extends below the chassis, maybe it will work with a wide rad? 

There are 2 wedge shaped panels that fit either side of the rad (standard width) to hold it into the frame, if you have a wide rad you don't need them. Careful though, they are not the same, if you fit them the wrong way round (as the previous owner of my 1500 had done) then the rad sits too high and rubs the inside of the bonnet.

I think I have the ones from mine still attached to the scrap radiator - yours for the postage if you want them. Or "pop" up and collect them sometime.

13 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Bump stops? On the front? Upper? On a Spitfire? I begin to wonder what "stuff" he knew...

Indeed.... no bump stops on my Spitfire 1500!

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

He was referring to something that goes in here.

I was a bit dizzy with excitement about passing but the more I think about it......

20170807_185952.jpg

Some front suspension have a bump stop fitted to the top of the damper. e.g. TR7 and Stag. You can't see the thing as it's under a large rubber boot/bellows and it's not part of the damper assembly.

The only bump stop possible on the Spit would be if it was part of the front dampers. The factory did not fit any bump stop at the point indicated by the green arrow.

That hole is used as  a mounting point for the engine side screens.

Dave.  

Thanks Dave. If something's there when you're put on the spot you have half chance. When something might be missing it's different.
I felt obliged (out of a certain degree of professional respect) to wonder if he was right. Another case of confidence I guess, I'd been through those drawings with a fine toothed comb when I'd been ordering parts, I knew really. Besides if you had a stop there you'd be in a heck of a position before it was used!

Yep, another venerable Triumph rolls on for another year.  I'm not claiming to have recovered a basket case, she was never that, but it does feel good knowing it'll be a lot of years before anything important needs doing again . (touch wood)

hehe had to laugh, her little wheels were so snuggled into the rollers she couldn't get out...I think he left a quid's worth of rubber on the garage floor having a little spin. She had to be helped out with some little ramps....ahhhh.   Brake balance 179/172 front, 152/145 back, just for reference.

• Like 1

Very true Pete, I got concerned this time when the normal garage I used for 30 years shut and coupled with a new MOT being introduced. But the new garage was recommended by local club members and no problems.

To be fair I have only had one job's worth in many many years. Testing Herald body seal/covers for weakness with a small rubber hammer. A hole would have caused an MOT failure according this chap. 

Dave

I detected a certain amount of respect for the fact I was having an MOT when for all they knew, I didnt have to have one. Perhaps they realised that if they gave me a hard time it might be the last time they see me. 

I think it's also the case that they can figure out pretty quickly if you're the sort of person who wants things right (and will do it themselves) rather than a chancer who's trying to swerve the rules somehow or someone clueless who isn't aware of the risks. 

I know it's a bit devious, but I always wear my blue oily overalls when I go to the garage and my dusty green ones when I go to the woodyard. I'd certainly never wear my smarts. First impressions count eh? Mrs Me thinks I'm like Mr Benn, dressing up as a different profession every day. I don't find much use for the suit of armour though or the diving gear. If you don't know who Mr Benn is then that last bit will be very confusing. 

Yorkshire : I forgot to thank you for the offer of the rad fittings. I'll bear it in mind. Cheers. 

• Like 1

Hello all, sorry to Hijack this thread back to the original subject ....

I just taxed my GT6 and it didn’t ask to declare the car MOT exempt. So got tax but no MOT exemption. I’m assuming that’s because it is currently MOT’d, perhaps only going to the declaring MOT exempt page if you have no MOT,

However, that means in order to declare MOT exempt I’d have to deliberately not MOT next year, and then potentially use the car without MOT until the tax is due and then declare MOT exempt. That means running the car for a period of time without MOT and without exemption.

is it me or is this crazy?

Mike

Do you have to declare that it's exempt? If let's say you are selling you can still say it's mot exempt as it falls within the parameters. The next owner does not have to have an mot but will need to tax it immediately as it's not transferable even when it's free 

Aidan

If you're got to keep the car mot'ed anyway then it won't be a problem. If they don't ask you to state exemption then it's because they already have you down as exempt? If in doubt give them a call. 

Things like this are why I always try to sync my tax mot and insurance. Makes a dear month but 364 days clear ahead. 

On 7/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, ShaunW said:

I'm also quite looking forward to the day someone official turns his nose up at something and I have my 'ta da!' moment and whip out my unexpected official doc. 

Hmmm... not that I think you would, Shaun, but I believe that when the day comes that an MOT Official tells me there's something wrong with my car, I'll not be whipping out my 'Get out of MOT free" card and laughing at him... I'll be off to the garage to sort it out.

My local centre, despite being the official production-line Government Test Centre, will usually chat about what they're looking for and why, which lets me know what to look out for when I next test the car. They'll usually point things out: "We don't like to see that" as a broad hint for me to go home and rectify things, since we don't get advisories; it's pass or fail.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hmmm... not that I think you would, Shaun, but I believe that when the day comes that an MOT Official tells me there's something wrong with my car, I'll not be whipping out my 'Get out of MOT free" card and laughing at him... I'll be off to the garage to sort it out.

My local centre, despite being the official production-line Government Test Centre, will usually chat about what they're looking for and why, which lets me know what to look out for when I next test the car. They'll usually point things out: "We don't like to see that" as a broad hint for me to go home and rectify things, since we don't get advisories; it's pass or fail.

I meant it's the mot I whip out, not an exemption. I'm not planning on getting away with having an unsafe car but instead surprising someone (ie plod) that I've actually got one when the assumption might be that I haven't. 

It's all hypothetical Colin, and just a result of the psychological scars left by being pulled over every 5 minutes in my youth. I grew up in a small town and being 'that lad with the fancy car', I got more than my fair share of unwanted attention. 

I don't expect anyone to understand and it probably doesn't make sense but that's how I'm wired.