More on MOT exemption

dougbgt6

1 hour ago, ShaunW said:

I don't expect anyone to understand and it probably doesn't make sense but that's how I'm wired. 

Believe it or not, I do!! I understand what you mean now - thanks for clarifying it for me. I didn't think, going by your posts, that you'd be cutting corners.

I intend to keep my GT6 MOT’d but it might be useful once in a while to use the fact that it’s MOT exempt. I went to Laon on a scenic car trip last month where the trip was just before MOT due. So end up with dilemma of whether to get MOT before trip or after trip .... a little extra leaway because of exemption would be useful.

But looks like I’ll never actually get the opportunity to apply for exemption.

To answer Shaun, it can’t be exempt already because you have to apply for exemption through the taxing process.

Think I read through club triumph magazine that you are assumed exempt by being old enough (the car not the person)  but would have to declare exempt at the next opportunity if you choose to use your car without MOT. Personally I don’t like that approach because if you get turned down when declaring for whatever reason you have already broken tne law.

It’s all a bit catch 22.

Mine was declared mot exempt when I changed mine to historic. I was asked then if it was substantially modified. Which it isn’t. 

But unless you have knowing substantially changed the car and then drive it without mot you are breaking the law. If you haven’t then you haven’t. Simple. 

Mranrtell, I don't see how at the stage they're at how you could be turned down. There was just a box to tick. Which I did and that was that. 

The only tricky scenario I can think of is if you tick exempt, don't get an mot, and then by some twist of fate such as a serious accident that was investigated, it was found that you didn't qualify for an exemption. 

Whether mine is exempt is maybe a grey area and ticking exempt might have been the wrong thing to do strictly speaking, but I'd hope that having got an mot, the man on the Clapham omnibus (aka common sense) would show that there was no deliberate attempt to deceive. 

Yes I could have just ticked not exempt and got the mot, belt and braces. But like you, I felt it would just give me a little leeway at mot time should I need it, particularly with police ANPR. I'll get a nice little green light even if I am a few cc's and a (very) few horsepower over factory spec, good luck figuring that one out with a camera. 

Do you get the feeling there's a lot of overthinkers on here ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Mine was declared mot exempt when I changed mine to historic. I was asked then if it was substantially modified. Which it isn’t. 

But unless you have knowing substantially changed the car and then drive it without mot you are breaking the law. If you haven’t then you haven’t. Simple. 

Yep that's it. 

By the way, when can I change my birth certificate to 'Historic'? Rather than being exempt from checkups I seem to be having more and more. 

Mike. Do u have an MOT? I did mine yesterday online. I do have an MOT and there was no new screen when I went through the process, in fact there was no mention of an MOT at all, and I'm sure there was previously, at least there was something saying it had a valid MOT 

Aidan

So what do you get if you "apply" to be mot exempt? A certificate? Has anyone here "applied"? and can you let me know please?

If you don't "apply" this year does that mean you can't next? I don't think so because your car will still fit the criteria 

Aidan 

The way I understand it, is when you come to tax the car you are asked if it has a current MOT or is it exempted. If it still has a current MOT then, though it maybe eligible for exemption, you just tax it. If however you go down the exemption path there are a number of options, one being the age of the car. If you take this option then you have to declare the car/vehicle is in a roadworthy condition. But if you still wish to keep having an MOT then don't go down the exemption part when taxing the car.

I believe the exemption is not a one off process, you have to declare the car/vehicle is in a roadworthy condition each time you tax it. I guess legally this is in place of the MOT. So just watch your backs.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That is what I was expecting but no, the web page doesn’t ask you if you have a current MOT, it automatically checks it and just jumps through if you have an MOT. So you can’t apply for exemeption.

It only asks you about exemption if you don’t have an MOT.

But of course you will have an MOT because you haven’t applied for exemption yet.

and because you have an MOT you can’t get exemption.

I’m beginning to pull my hair out !

No, the exemption is automatic and unconnected to road tax. If you're taxing the car and it HAS an MOT, they don't need to KNOW whether it's exempt. That's why it doesn't ask. If the MOT expires between tax renewals, the car is still legal if it's exempt - the tax is still there and the exemption is still there. If you needed to APPLY for exemption, then THAT would be the time you'd need to, but YOU DON'T. The question at tax renewal time is for you to CONFIRM that it has an exemption.

I knew I had read it somewhere .... this is copied from Club Triumph magazine about this very issue ....

it talks about the guidance creating “an administrative issue” and goes on to say:

b) A post-1960 vehicle in the ‘historic’ class will from 20 May be entitled to exemption if it is a VHI, but the existing due date for an MOT test may arise prior to the next re-licensing date for that vehicle, which is the first date for making a declaration as a VHI, and
(c) As DVLA uses calendar year of manufacture and as the rolling forward of VED exemption occurs only in April of the relevant year, to define eligibility for the ‘historic’ class, there can be a substantial lag (in some cases of over twelve months) in the DVLA process between a vehicle being forty years old, and therefore entitled to MOT exemption if a VHI, and the date upon which the vehicle qualifies for the ‘historic’ class, entitling its keeper to make a declaration as a VHI.
Following discussion with a representative of DVSA, a process has been identified whereby the keepers of vehicles qualifying as VHIs, who are under the law entitled to be exempt, will not be obliged to take what would legally be a voluntary MOT test just to escape possible enforcement based upon the DVLA record.
• The DVLA record currently shows every pre-1960 vehicle as being exempt from the MOT.
• The DVLA record will pick up, by reference to the date of first registration, when any vehicle which might qualify (i.e. not an HGV or a bus or coach in commercial use) becomes over 40 years old.
• The record will then show that vehicle as MOT exempt.
• If at the time of next licence renewal a declaration as a VHI is not made, the requirement for an MOT will reappear on the DVLA record.
• The DVLA record is and will continue to be updated bi-monthly to the police.
• The police will therefore treat every vehicle over forty years old as MOT exempt unless and until the record shows it is NOT exempt.

If you read the 3rd bullet point the agreed approach is that if you do not declare whilst taxing, your record with the DVLA will be changed to show your car is not exempt and hence MOT is required.

Mike

If you read those bullet points in order, the third one states that the vehicle IS EXEMPT, before there's any question of license renewal or declarations.

I agree that the FOURTH bullet point appears to imply you need to give confirmation to retain that exemption. However, this is the outcome of a "discussion with a representative" and therefore should not be taken as gospel. The actual process in place appears to have been designed by a different person.

You have to apply for VHI "in person" at the post office with your V5 - Don't think you even need the insurance as they check it online. Once done (in my case anyway back in April) they asked me if my car was substantially modified and that was it. MOT remained in force until it ran out and I got some tax back. (But not back to Jan1 which peeved me slightly!)

• Like 1

Please don't take this as political posturing because this obviously isn't the place for it, but if the ineptitude of the way this simple change has been implemented is anything to go by, you can see why universal credit has left so many people in such dire straits. 

Red, blue or yellow they're all equally useless. This change is about as easy as they come, and heaven help us when they're back in control of everything. 

Rant over. 

15 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

Please don't take this as political posturing because this obviously isn't the place for it, but if the ineptitude of the way this simple change has been implemented is anything to go by, you can see why universal credit has left so many people in such dire straits. 

Red, blue or yellow they're all equally useless. This change is about as easy as they come, and heaven help us when they're back in control of everything. 

Rant over. 

Rants are good - we love debate!

I notice you didn't mention the greens, but then realised that in THEIR case, there'd be no cars at all, MOTd or otherwise.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I notice you didn't mention the greens, but then realised that in THEIR case, there'd be no cars at all, MOTd or otherwise.

I had to stop somewhere but yes, purple, green and rainbow too. I'm a simple political creature really, one rule, treat everyone like they were family... the ones you like obviously ?

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

And we would all live in cities 2 minutes from work so there would be no need for them or everywhere would have transport like central London.....hold on a minute.... oh yes of course I could cycle to work only 50 miles.... each way! By the time I got there I'd  have to start home.... who's idea was this?

Another rant over ?

Aidan