CO2 on shortage ... the beers flat

Pete Lewis

does the shortage in supplies of CO2   gas for the drinks and food supplies  now mean the emissions will improve and electric cars can

be banished to the great good happy hunting grounds. 

after all they have flogged  HC   CO  NO   C   and CO2 for years   whats next  all this Co2 must contribute to the problems they say we have 

Pete

Sources for Co2 are hydrocarbon use at chemical plants making other things, using the H and chucking the C, as Co2, but in this case bottling it.

OR, Breweries!    Yeast makes Co2 and alcohol, that's where the fizz, what there is, in a 'real' ale copmers from, and really BIG vats' outflow is worth extracting too!

John

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Sources for Co2 are hydrocarbon use at chemical plants making other things, using the H and chucking the C, as Co2, but in this case bottling it.

OR, Breweries!    Yeast makes Co2 and alcohol, that's where the fizz, what there is, in a 'real' ale copmers from, and really BIG vats' outflow is worth extracting too!

John

You mean ... there's yeast farts in our beer! :wacko:

If it doesn't blow off the bottle cap it's not brewed properly. I did know someone once who's husband brewed beer. He bottled his and put it on top on the kitchen wall cupboards. Probably the worst place to keep it after the loft. She went in and the temperature change, even tough slight, must have caused one of the bottles to crack.  It then exploded and caused a chain reaction with all the other bottles which were at bursting point.  She said that as she quickly shut the door, she saw the jagged bottom of a bottle fly past her.  I also knew someone who brought a boot full of expensive vine home from a vineyard in France. He stored his in his loft. Needless to say, very hot in summer, sub-zero in winter... when he came to drink it, it was only good for putting on his chips as it had turned to vinegar.

Doug - I think I got my last lot from Art of Brewing, but not bought anything for ages. Current kit is their own brand...'Brewmaker' Bitter Tastes ok especially after the third one.

https://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk

4 hours ago, Badwolf said:

f it doesn't blow off the bottle cap it's not brewed properly.

I new someone who kept his brew in the airing cupboard. :o And, yes it did, the whole lot! glass shards through everything, blankets, towels, bedding, clothes. Wife not too pleased. 

db

I have found that brewing your own has many advantages. Making it is a thoughtful slow process allowing you to think things through (see postings about door linkage elsewhere). Bottling it gives you a taste of things to come as the bear is yeasty and flat (see previous posts) but not really worth drinking... yet. Opening the bottle with that satisfying pop/fizz gives you a glowing moment that you have done it right. Drinking it ... gives you a glowing moment that tells you you've definitely done it right 'cause you are pi**ed at about 15/20pence a bottle... no alcohol tax and minimum VAT.