Forum slow

Anglefire

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

Running fine from the office, but I am on a very high bandwidth connection to the internet.

Seems ok again now - I have a fast connection here - 160Mb or so.

To be fair a site I admin went down last night for 45minutes until they fixed the issue (Server is in Germany) - I assume my own website went down too as that is hosted by the same company.

Back when it was NTL, shortly after ceasing to be Cambridge Cable, a former colleague of mine had a regular failure of his Internet connection when the weather got hot. He called NTL, described exactly the symptoms, and they sent an engineer to look at it... on the next cold, wet day, when there was nothing wrong. More hot weather and it failed again, he called them again, they sent another engineer... on the next cold, wet day. And again. And again. It took months for them to finally listen to his increasingly assertive observation that it was a hot weather problem.

Guess who now owns all the old NTL equipment?

4 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I have two tin cans and a piece of fibre optic cable. Thank you Virgin.

We are with Virgin too - and its always very fast here - well 99% of the time.

NM,

The only time we had an issue was when we were with Birmingham Cable - Nearly every Friday around home time from work (5pm ish) we would loose the phone. They came out several times but couldn't find the fault, just reset the switch and all good again. Eventually, we just called them up and told them to reset the switch - normally without an argument, but sometimes they would say, it wouldn't work - it always did!

Eventually we found out that we were on the first port on the switch and when it got busy it threw off the first port......... They moved port to a different one and it didn't do it again - though we had to have a new number :(

Very familiar! Having been a network engineer I have a good idea what's wrong "RESET THE BLADE!!!! But no, I have to spend half an hour going through the check list with the Indian Help Desk. Then wait 2 days for an engineer to check my house installation "If it's wrong it's your fault and you have to pay!" Engineer knows what's wrong "The blade needs resetting" but he can't do it, not his department. A week later, fault passed to the local exchange network group. They reset the blade. BRITISH TELECOM don't you just love 'em?!!

db

I get a respectable 100mb until the kids come out from school. The wifi router is something else. Got the house wired with tp-link mains extenders but still wifi very flaky. Even standing under the router my tablet says poor wifi, never mind elsewhere in the house. Keep meaning to investigate a better wifi system and just set the Virgin thing as a router not wifi. Maybe for Christmas when there's nothing better to do and its cold in the garage/shed.

All WiFi is poor but there are things that can be done to help. Avoid placing the access point (router) near anything metal including certain types of wall construction. Avoid possible sources of interference (I think the mains extenders come under that category, sorry to say).

The important bits of my house are all wired up with Cat5E Ethernet, including the shed, the garage, and the socket behind the TV. This means I have a Gb connection from the BluRay player to both the fibre modem and the network storage. I then put WiFi access points in both the shed and the garage so I can use my laptop or phone out in the garden.

Mind you, I am a software engineer by trade...

I have my Virgin setup as a "modem" with no routing. A separate router which is 10/100/1000 (Need that as the incoming speed is 160Mb) and my PC and NAS drives are all on GB connections.

I have a separate WiFi unit which is an Ubiquiti UniFi Ap AC Pro, which is powered via the POE from another switch. - has a very strong signal all around the house and my iPhone downloads at about 90Mb/s

The Wifi is managed so I can setup virtual wifi networks and limit both access and download speeds.

Since changing mine around to this method, its been so much more reliable and fast - having one box to do everything is not a good idea as they never have enough power!

All sounds very complicated to me! My BTHomehub sits in the corner of the front room with everything attached to it via WiFi. None of this BT Infinity malarkey - just their basic package. Happily streams BBC iPlayer on occasions and I get good signal strength at the bottom of the garden in the shed!

Gully

Gully,

I am 100% with you on that, with my PlusNet set-up - garden, garage and anything else within reason.

Must say that the TSSC Forum is a cut above many others with regard to speed, presentation and rarely has any hiccups. Full credit to those involved where credit is due.

Regards.

Richard.

51 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Must say that the TSSC Forum is a cut above many others with regard to speed, presentation and rarely has any hiccups. Full credit to those involved where credit is due.

It’s hosted on Invision Power’s own servers, using the IPBoard forum software platform, so it’s very well supported and maintained software.  All the TSSC have to do is pay the monthly hosting charge, and in return we get virtually unlimited capacity - particularly for pictures - no need to resize and virtually no limit on the file size, unlike other forums.  

51 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Slow....?  Try the CT Forum.... tranquillised tortoise.

Nick

From the gossip I’m hearing it’s not going to improve.  There appears to be a school of thought that people will just get used to it  and live with it.  

You're the man Kevin, any issues I have flagged in the past - probably two at most - have been swiftly & dealt with in full. Thank you.

Regards.

Richard.