Mudflaps on a Herald

Darren Groves

I'm in the middle of a some remedial work on the Herald, mainly replacing the rusty wheelarches. I also decided to remove all the sills and valances as driving on the muddy Devon roads has taken its toll, and I was really quite surprised at how much mud had been thrown up underneath the car, particularly into the rear valances.

I don't think I've ever seen mud flaps on a Herald or Vitesse (not that I've ever particularly looked), so wondered if there's anyone that has fitted them and if they look OK and actually work. The ones available from the usual traders (below) don't really look like they'll fit too well.

Any thoughts?

GRID005422.jpg

I had genuine stanpart ones on my vitesse (rear) and the rubber was so much better than the type shown above. Plus they actually fitted. trouble is stuff gets trapped between the flap and the car, causing issues if not kept clean (and wax protection)

You may be better off making your own, using some rubber. Not sure what is the best way to attach them either.

At the front, I made some stainless mini-flaps that stopped much getting between the bulkhead and outriggers. Simple to cut out (I got the stainless from a kitchen tray thing) and attched to the bulkhead with 2 small bolts. The were definitely successful.

• Like 1

I was also looking for some "original" old stock but failed and I also didn't like the look of the ones readily available. So I'd also be interested if anyone knows a manufacturer who can reproduce the originals or a supplier with old stock