6 cylinder running rough but....

AidanT

Update

Timing is set just less than 8 degrees BTDC so with today's petrol this is what I had already set it to

On short  latest test just now once things got up to temperature the problem started to re-occur in 4th at 30mph it started to get lumpy when pulling away but was still ok taking off from start. I guess this is just the initial stages

Will change the plugs and swap out the coil next when the coil arrives !

Aidan

Another Update

A new Bosch coil arrived during the week, now fitted and after an initial road test the problem seems to have gone 

Will run down to Grantham later and see if it has finally gotten rid of the gremlin

Aidan 

20180721_105842.jpg

Add on to the above, I managed to suck out just over half a litre of oil from the rear diff ( by gum that hasn't been changed in a while!) using an oil syringe and an old oil gauge pipe duely fettled together and replaced with 140. Ready to do a longer test run tomorrow along the A1

So will it whine and or judder....

We will see in tomorrow's exiting episode ....

Aidan

• 2 weeks later...

So a good (hot) test today and the problem is still present. Not the coil then.

In fact it's now probably worse with a lack of power as well as stumbling on acceleration 

Next is to swap out the plugs. New set been waiting so hopefully not take as long this time ?

Aidan

It's the fuel that worries me a little, although the symptoms are very odd I don't think I have got them down totally yet  - they seem to be changing 

If it is the plugs I'm going to fall out of love with NGK as this won't be my first set this year!

Any one advice on other brand options and their code?

Aidan

So. Another test in the heat with new plugs and that issue has now gone.  However it would seem my twiddling has now made the car run very hot! I can only think it was the leaning off of the mixture, would that be a cause?

Aidan

Undo the clamp on the dizzy base 

Raise the idle to about 1200 ish

Rotate the dizzy  body to find the best fastest idle

as  you turn is anticlcock you retard and it slows  turn it clockwise will advance and the idle will speed up

At its best point go anticlock a bit  so its less than best about 1/4" 

Nip the clamp  slow the idle to normal    do a test run

If it pinks ...sounds like marbles in a tin can   back it till it doesnt pink ,      pull hard in top gear at 40mph

Running at 8 deg is maybe retarded too much raised the combustion temp  and you have cooked the plugs that gave the missfires

Pete

Thanks Pete you may well have solved the puzzle then! I will try and follow the steps above. I assume the engine should be fully warm before doing this. I will drop it back to tdc and work from there. I have a twiddle device on my dizzy to adjust the timing so will use that. When you say a 1/4" how many degrees would that be? Each click on mine seems to adjust by 1 degree in timing 

Aidan

Forget about any settings  just move the dizzy the results are obvious , you will soon get the hang of better or worse

The 1/4is the outer body but its only a vague guide , you jyst dont want it set to the best always a amount of less than

So if the revs rise to 1400 at best   rotate to drop it back to 1200  this may seem a bit hit and miss but its what many of us do 

Stick with the 97+ ron fuel 

No strobe  no bulbs just use the ears !!!

Pete

Aiden,

You mean the vacuum tube? I makes little difference at tick over.

Turn the dizzy for maximum revs, you can turn it further, but the revs don't change. Go back to the first point of max revs, then back a gnats. Take it for a run, if it pinks back a gnats more,. Repeat until it doesn't pink, and there you have it, perfection! It's easy, it ain't rocket science! :lol:

Doug

Doesnt realy matter , with the vac off you may go to far and reconnecting advances more than is needed

It will only pink if its is advanced too far and the combustion tries to fire the piston  backwards as the burn tales place before the piston can do its downward power stroke

The vac unit is sucked by a small port next to the  throttle plate  so at 1200 1500 ot will be generating some advance

This is not far away from whats happening on the road , dont worry about the vac unot, just nudge the dizzy anti clockwose in small 

Increments till you cant hear any pinking when driving 

Retarding at best reduces performance  increases the burn temperature, overheats plugs etc lowers economy   need more throttle to perform ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought - how important is the the compression washer on the spark plugs?  I ask this because thinking back, I only seem to have problems when I  have taken out cleaned and put the same plugs back in to the engine?  Could this be something to do with seating? or could I be damaging the plug somehow just removing them?

Aidan