Vitesse Mk2 Half Shaft UJs

I've just got my Vitesse back from having the CV joint half shafts fitted along with standard length telescopic shocks. Tremendous difference but no going to dwell on that now.

What I was shocked and concerned by was the condition of the inner UJs on both sides of the old shafts.

I have the receipts for the rebuild of my car in 2008 at 67000 miles and it included new Rotoflex joints and UJs I won't say where from but not far from home,

Ok that was 10 years ago but the car  is now on 71000 miles, most done by me and whilst the Rotoflex joints actually seem fairly good both UJs were badly worn to the point of potential failure. As most owners will know this was not detectable with the shafts installed.

Disaster averted check yours carefully

Steve

Have a Mk1 Vitesse, uses same UJ on rear drive shafts, just had to change one as noisy at slow speed and when moving off. UJ not that old or many miles but at least the Mk1 gives warning.

Club shop shows a UJ at about three times the price of a standard one, are they that much better?.

Regards

Paul

Maybe not going to last 3x longer, but even if double the better understanding are cheap, once you consider the time involved in changing them.

I wouldn't fit anything but the best parts I can find, the few quid saved is quickly forgotten, unlike the grief if redoing a job.

• Like 2

Any wear in the UJ's on the Mk2 is masked by the Rotoflex couplers. Go for the better quality type sold by the club shop. Not only do the cheaper type wear out quicker by they can have the wrong size circlips (i.e. to thin) which allow the cups to rotate in the yoke. I put paint on the circlips/cups so I can monitor to see if there is a rotation problem. 

Dave

Hi Gully,

I will be converting my Mk 2 Vit to CV shafts, using the Rimmers CV conversion, in the not too distant future hopefully. Did you discover the exact cause of the premature bearing failure - i.e. was the end float not set up correctly, or poor quality bearing etc ?

Gav