still baffled

david lewis

I thought I had fixed the non operating clutch by moving the slave cylinder forward but on a trial run today found that sometimes the clutch would work ok ( albeit with a lowish pedal ) and at other times would not work.it is not hydraulic related.

does this sound like the pivot pin is not engaged or dropped out even though I can feel something in the hole about 1/2 down from the top.

can a new pin be just knocked in from the top or does the gearbox need to come out.

I was congratulating myself for fixing it but obviously spoke too soon.

any help appreciated.

cheers

I’d attempt to knock it out from below rather the above in case it’s tapered... but some of the bell housings I have still have a pin a little bit down inside the hole, so yours may still be present. Get a replacement one with a head if you can, they don’t drop through.

As I posted elsewhere, if the pin has dropped out, you may get lucky and manage to line the holes up. It will be a fiddle, and I would thing the slave cylinder/boss will need to be out of the way. And as Colin has pointed out, the pins with a head on are a good idea. I have seen bolts used too, though the threaded sections cause a few issues in terms of wear. Still, better than nothing.

It isn't a difficult job (unless you struggle with shifting heavyish bits of metal)

If you have a the gearbox exposed, it is just 20 nuts and bolts (approx) and out it comes from inside. Well, almost as easy as that, but not difficult.

It isn't a difficult job (unless you struggle with shifting heavyish bits of metal)

Cover your floors with heavy cardboard or carpet or you’ll lose a lot of paint in the process; it’s easier to slide the gearbox until you can get a good grip on it but the damage is already done by then.