The Apocalypse

dougbgt6

But it won't overheat as easily. If your dire warnings worry you, line the inside of the plastic grill with fine chicken/aviary mesh. That will stop the stones but not the air. Must say that I have never had a problem.... until now! The lowered plate does look nice though.

I've never heard of it happening, but there's always a first time. 3 days after getting my car back from re-spray the bonnet caught a wheel nut off a lorry, still got the dent. It could just as easily have been through the radiator, which thinking about it would have been preferable! Bonnet fix and spray vs new radiator?

Very early on in my GT6 career I broke a low fitted number plate parking edge on to a high curb. So I moved the new plate up. :wub:  I know better now.

Would nylon fruit mesh stand up to a flying wheel nut?

Doug

well it keeps bumble bees  out of the parrot aviary 

if i get a nut , 2 penny bangers and a tube i will set up a test firing and test the strain limitations for you 

if you listen youll here the bang 

BANG  !!!!!!             there  you go  perfect result

oops the wheels just fell of the bus down the road 

Pete

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I think that, if your cooling system is marginal - i.e. suffering from silted up water ways &/or corroded radiator - then moving the plate down will help. But 1000's of Spits & GT6's didn't have a problem back in the day when they were nearly new, did they?

East Berks in 2015

Photo0279.jpg

You can't see mine (back left), but check my signature.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Damn clever of those Triumph engineers to make the number plate double as a stone guard, eh?

Oooooooo!

That's mine on the left in front of yours! John's blue Vitesse, Mark's brown Spitfire, Micky Hazell's red Vitesse, Andy Cook's GT6 in the far corner. Who's are the Magenta Spitfire and the dark Herald at the back? At least 5 of them still running.

Mark got quite tearful "Just like the old days!" He said. I got so excited I later claimed there were "A dozen Triumphs".

Doug

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rlubikey said:

But 1000's of Spits & GT6's didn't have a problem back in the day when they were nearly new, did they?

I'm not so sure about that, I had 2 Spits and a GT6 in the early 80s and they all had a stick on number plate on the bonnet. I think they all had aux fans too in addition to the std one but the memory is getting distant. It's still the best place for the plate as far as I can tell. If it's good enough for an E-Type it's good enough for me. 

Spitfires don't have a problem, it's the GT6 which is on the edge, the cooling system is just about good enough. With age, blockages and things just not what they were, overheating is a constant worry. So anything that can be done, radiator and block flushing, airway unimpedimention  (is that a word?) is for the good.

I'm not sure registration plate numbers on the bonnet are street legal, but plod seem unconcerned these days.

db

23 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I'm not sure registration plate numbers on the bonnet are street legal, but plod seem unconcerned these days.

Technically they aren't unless there is no other place for them - hence E types get away with it.

But plod seem uninterested in anything these days unless it clears up a crime - they don't want anymore! The number of illegal plates you see these days is unreal and nothing ever seems to be done about it!

Would it be legal to fix individual silver/white letters onto a black mesh backing?  Obviously not helpful for those with reflective plate requirements...

I'm now thinking of doing this to the 'Heep'.  The mesh is steel, from Wickes.   There is a standard number plate fitted at the moment.

_IGP0046.JPG

_IGP0048.JPG

Just register it as a motor cycle and just have a plate at the back 

Unless youre one of the pikeys round here when you dont need anything apart from abnoxious antisocialites.

I agree with the notes about get away with anything we have lots of nurds who have unreadable concoctions of  letters numbers and spacing   and font  ....rules  what rules

Pete

16 hours ago, Anglefire said:

But plod seem uninterested in anything these days unless it clears up a crime - they don't want anymore! The number of illegal plates you see these days is unreal and nothing ever seems to be done about it!

Not really a Police problem anymore, DVLA have their own enforcement in the form of cameras etc. If a number plate is reported three times as being incorrectly spaced or altered, it can be automatically withdrawn and a replacement plate issued from Swansea, which can cost many a smart-alec who paid a high price for his personalised plate in the first place.

However: when the Police DO try to enforce things like this, they're called 'overzealous'...

4 hours ago, mark powell said:

Would it be legal to fix individual silver/white letters onto a black mesh backing?  Obviously not helpful for those with reflective plate requirements...

I'm now thinking of doing this to the 'Heep'.  The mesh is steel, from Wickes.   There is a standard number plate fitted at the moment.

One person did that and something bad happened to him!

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, what's that nice car in the background?

Cheers, Richard

• Haha 1

I guess we are all numbers in the end. NI number, Staff number and !

The original Spit had a clear area for air to enter the rad. However, with changes in the US regs the Mk3 had a full length bumper which was raised to just above the rad grill.  Known as bone in teeth. The result was the number plate was fitted obstructing the grill. It became a standard owner and some dealers mod to drop the number plate too below the rad grill back in the 1970's.

Dave