SPITFIRE MK2 SU HS2 CARBURETTOR REFURB/EXCHANGE

oliproctor

Hello all,

I need to get my SU HS2 Mk2 Spitfire carburettors refurbed and preferably exchanged as cannot wait the estimated 10 weeks Rimmer Bros quoted me. 

Does anyone have a pair that they would exchange or know of someone/a business who does please?

Many thanks, Oli

They have given me the best quote and time scale so far, I'm worried now! 

24 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Oli,

Do not bother with with AT.

I can certainly recommend Gower and Lee from experience.

Regards.

Richard.

15 minutes ago, Paul H said:

AT?

Paul

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

whats wrong with your carbs  why not DIY 

Pete

Seconded. They are not complicated items, I had to strip and rebuild mine a couple of months ago with no prior knowledge.  Just get a service kit from burlen 

I think the worry is not taking them apart, or even putting them back together, but setting them up. Some of you may remember that I had dreadful trouble setting mine up. In the end got someone to do it at a local garage who knew just how much to turn the set up thingies.

Setting them up really shouldn't be that scary. Just search on here and Pete will explain the procedure. The last set of SUs I refurbished (late 1500 Spitfire HS4s, which I converted to non-waxstat) ran the engine perfectly nicely from the base setting. As did the Strombergs I rebuilt (from seized up and won't run at all) for the GT6.

Most manuals give wind the jet up to level with bridge or up, to touch a held down piston then back off the adjusting nut 3 full turns to Get the starting point  .

thats the sort of setting proceedure done by SU when supplying the engine track

The idle screw would be pre set 1.5 turns in from closed

no, dark art 

Pete

With the benefit of hindsight I should have restored my  CDSE 150’s myself instead of buying very very shiny “restored” carbs as in the end I had to restore them anyway and would have saved at least £200 plus . Lesson learnt 

Paul 

6 minutes ago, Paul H said:

With the benefit of hindsight I should have restored my  CDSE 150’s myself instead of buying very very shiny “restored” carbs as in the end I had to restore them anyway and would have saved at least £200 plus . Lesson learnt 

Paul 

In what way did Andrew Turner not do a good job?

Thanks

The second set contains new butterflies and very importantly, spindles. They are the bit that wear and then make idle settings difficult (ie set ok at idle, but air sucks in so you have actually set them too weak higher up the rev range)

I have rebuilt loads of carbs. The thing to watch for are badly worn body where the spindle goes though. Rebushing is very difficult to get right, needs clever equipment so the usual answer is a better carb body....