Another CT refugee..

After several years agreeable banter on that other forum, I am jumping ship and returning here. 

'The Heep', to those who have never ventured beyond these pages is coming to fruition. What was a terminally rusted 13/60 estate is now a shorty pick-up, with inspiration from a 1973 copy of Custom Car.  It has taken two and a half years from stripping the original down to it's last nut and bolt, to the situation where I am now waiting for a correct registration document.

Once it is on the road, I can then pick up my Midge from storage and set about a complete rebuild...   (Built in 1985/6, sold about 7 years ago and re-purchased last year, still unused..)

_IGP0065.JPG

_IGP0049.JPG

_IGP0066.JPG

I like it! I've sometimes thought of a Herald pickup but retaining a steel roof (essential in Wales IMO!) and the standard rear screen, wonder how practical that would be?  The current legislation around modifications means I'll probably never find out.

1 hour ago, Bitumen Boy said:

I like it! I've sometimes thought of a Herald pickup but retaining a steel roof (essential in Wales IMO!) and the standard rear screen, wonder how practical that would be?  The current legislation around modifications means I'll probably never find out.

That's why I was advertising for a rear screen rubber a while back, a local member is doing just that.

13 hours ago, Bitumen Boy said:

I don't think you would have a problem regarding modifications. At the end of the day, the chassis is unaltered and I expect all the running gear would be retained. 

I am waiting on DVLA agreeing to a change to two seat pick-up. They have already changed the colour from blue to red and the engine from 1296 to 1493 cc. I supplied photo evidence of the body change, so we shall see. (Hopefully next week, as I am entered in my local transport festival at the end of the month.   Hellingly, East Sussex.)

I have still to complete a roll bar set up to my satisfaction and I have a steel roof that will be chopped to make the 'targa top' suggested in the original idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Heep today passed it's MOT with one advisory for a slightly worn tire...  Insurance from Peter James,  Historic Tax obtained.   There's loads of tweaking to do, including:-  sorting out the roll bar set up, a towing socket, footwell trims, painting and fitting a recently purchased drivers door, the list goes on, but we are mobile!

The only fly in the ointment is a pending basic inspection for the DVLA. by the SGS.  I'm not anticipating any problems, but we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A man arrived this morning, (despite e-mail stating that he would be attending in the afternoon....) Type 1 inspection, took lots of photos of things like engine number, commission number, front and rear with number plate, speedo with mileage, etc.  He reports back to his base and they then forward his report to DVLA.

Watch this space...

Edited by mark powell
addition
  • Like 2

I took 'The Heep' to my local Hellingly Festival of Transport yesterday and today.  The first few drops of precipitation today sent me home in short order... No roof...

It received a lot of favourable comments, even from diehard Triumph owners.

I have to sort out a decent throttle return spring arrangement for the twin Strombergs, as I managed to break it on the way home.  ( SAH manifold fitted). Anyway, tomorrow should be rain free, hopefully, and I can trawl the trade stands for a selection of springs.

There is also an annoying intermittent miss fire.   Something to do with the total lack of engine maintenance since I took the donor Estate off the road....  'If it ain't broke.... being my school of thought.   Ah well, oil pressure and temperature were fine, so I shall attend to carbs and timing.

There was a gorgeous Moggy estate two cars away...  A bit of a beast!

_IGP0012.JPG

_IGP0009.JPG

_IGP0011.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mark powell said:

I have to sort out a decent throttle return spring arrangement for the twin Strombergs, as I managed to break it on the way home. 

Hello Mark,

I used this eBay seller to get my Vitesse spring - most were either too short or required a double link which of course was an absolute no-no; purchased the 160mm length.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expansion-Extension-Expanding-Extending-Tension-spring-springs-various-sizes/331843873482?hash=item4d436faaca:m:m0DsPKN102eHW31lkMgdFqQ

Not having a SAH set-up I do not know if the above is of use, but I was impressed with the spring I received - just the right length for the correct positive return action.

Went to that show last year was not overly impressed, hopefully yesterday was better unlike today and good luck for tomorrow.

Regards.

Richard.