Instrument Bezel

68vitesse

On 8/13/2018 at 12:30 PM, Pete Lewis said:

and daft as it seems many black ones have nice chrome under the paint 

PETE

On 8/13/2018 at 12:58 PM, Colin Lindsay said:

Saved my bacon more than once, stripping the black paint off an old bezel to find lovely chrome underneath.

Incidentally the instrument glass is readily available, both large and small, and can also brighten up an old gauge very easily. Just make sure you don't get fingerprints on the inside as you fit it tho....

Sadly, no bright chrome under the one I stripped, just yellowish alloy. I'm going to try some spray 'chrome' paint to see what it looks like.

Spray chrome (Chrome-a-like?) is terrible stuff and nowhere like real chrome; at best a dull light silver and not reflective. 

As a test I've just gone out and retrieved two gauges at random from the spares pile; both painted black but both shiny chrome underneath when the black is rubbed off. It's interesting to note that the black paint is in the inner face only; the sides / outer ring is still chrome. Both of these were Spitfire 1500 gauges.

DSCF5769.jpg.a26eb1c05808cd23138eb41a9cd8d92c.jpg

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Sadly, no bright chrome under the one I stripped, just yellowish alloy. I'm going to try some spray 'chrome' paint to see what it looks like.

Comes under heading Mr Sod's law, like the spare dash I bought being from a 1600 Vitesse so speedo, temp and fuel guages no good for me. But the switches cables and knobs still made it a worthwhile purchase.

Yellow metal probably brass, tried chrome paint on another job okish and chromish sort off.

Regards

Paul