Headlights

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I have a 1500 spitfire and a few days ago I decided to remove the headlight shrouds and check inside etc.

The reason being not had a reason to remove them up to now and as we are going to Spain later in the year for 2 1/2 weeks and I thought I would be b***erd if I could not get those 3 bolts out and the spanish plod saw me with only one headlight working!!!

As it happened they all came out ok (but I would need to carry a 7/16" socket or box spanner?)

Then I thought why not cut the back out of the headlamp bowl and fit a big rubber grommet in there so the lamp could be changed from the back as most modern cars are.

So the question is has anyone done this and what size grommet did you use etc?

If the curved surface proved a problem I could weld or solder a collar on the back?

What do we think?

Roger

ps I obvioulsy have to much time on my hands? but not really i just like a different challenge!

I intend doing just that.In fact, I doubt you will need a grommit, it should be well protected as long as the back of the lamp has the small rubber boot covering the connector etc.

In fact you can buy a "backless bowl". But they are expensive and it is not a lot of hassle to cut the back off.

BTW, think I would be carrying a small toolkit. In fact, I always do. (3/8 socket set, spanners 3/8-3/4, small adjustable, pliers, mole grips, screwdrivers and a small hammer) which pack down very small, and fit easily in the spare tyre well. Which leads me on to why is the spare tyre fitted to make using the "well" difficult? I have altered mine so it will be well side up! Sorry for the thread drift

Hello Clive

I always carry a full tool kit, I was just thinking it would be a lot easier at the side of the road and if it was night.

I like the idea of the spare wheel well side up, I always put spares under it but is a hassle.

The biggest grommit I can find on fleabay at the moment is 2" which may be a bit small?

Roger

yes, cover that back of  the bulb and the hole in the lamp itself. Will see if I can find them later and have a measure. 

Given teh position of the lights, right behind the arches, I can't see much muck getting up there. The back of the bowls never seem to get dirty, even on a daily driver.

Roger, yes, I bought plastic bowls for the Spit and cut the backs off to fit some enormous bungs I got at Stoneliegh (or somewhere) - about 3" dia. I think. And I've never had a headlamp bulb failure since - result!

Richard

Just had a measure up. I have 2 types, a smaller variety which I think is "normal" and approx 2" diameter, but on the back of some spare Toledo lights a bigger version at 3" across. Either will work well enough.

If you want a grommet type of thing, how about steering rack or CV gaiters?

Hello Clive

I went out into the garage today to attack the headlight bowls! but I have had a change of heart because when I had taken the light unit out I saw the spring attachment is fixed almost in the middle of the bowl>

So I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and the bowls a riveted in(i have ordered a small 1/4" drive set from Halfords £13.50 with discount

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-30-piece-socket-set-1-4

So I have modified the spare wheel fixing so I can fit the wheel inner side up, more room for tools and spares (thank's for the idea)

I used to put the spares under the wheel it will be much easier now, this where the club is good at sharing ideas.

post-44-0-03428500-1425497072_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-02093600-1425497090_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-69430800-1425497108_thumb.jpg

Hello Clive

I went out into the garage today to attack the headlight bowls! but I have had a change of heart because when I had taken the light unit out I saw the spring attachment is fixed almost in the middle of the bowl ...

I had completely forgotten that detail. The plastic bowls don't have the spring at the centre rear of the bowl as the originals do.

Like your inverting the spare wheel modification!

Richard