Universal Joint Spiders constantly shearing off!

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I am having real problems with my universal joints on the drive shafts of my GT6, since she was road worthy again in September she has sheared 3 spiders in half! The last one was today...

Is there anywhere I can buy some of these things from where they are not made of crumbly cheese?? I need to get a pair ASAP really...

Henry

Update: I have just seen that there are GKN units sealed for life on ebay at the moment!

This was not the case last time I had to buy some, the only GKN ones on there were the propshaft ones with the grease nipple, these are no good as the driveshafts have to take nearly 4 times as much load and the hollow grease paths scare me!!

I just had some unknown brand ones that were all I could come by at the time, maybe these GKN ones could be the solution??

Henry

Yep, the genuine freelander UJ's are the best. Watch out though, many ebay sellers are selling them as freelander, until you read carefully and you are buying chinese/turkish etc tat. About £20+ each IIRC, had them fitted to my new propshaft.

Not suggesting you buy here in the slightest, but shows you what a minefield it is, with different makes/costs. Looks like the plain box OEM version is the one to but, £30 for a LR box is expensive!

http://www.lrdirect.com/TVF100000-Universal-Joint/

That's Interesting...

So are these Landrover ones actually the right size? I seem to recall someone mentioning that they have a slightly larger OD on the caps? That same person then went on to say but they fit if you have a big enough hammer... I wont be taking that approach as the yokes split if they are beaten like that!

Henry

Yes, they should fit. Maybe some "repro" ones are poorly sized! Interesting, as they need to be a tight fit in the yoke, other reason may be they were not going in straight I guess? OR somebody had whacked the yoke yo squeeze it slightly to "take up" some wear!

Clive.

Am I right in thinking that the LR units will fit a Mk2 Vitesse; as I'm presuming that the GT6 Mk3 has the same drivetrain ??

Thanks.

Richard.

• 3 months later...

They are physically the same size so you could use either in either position, however, the prop shaft ones are hollow and have a grease nipple on them sometimes.

The drive shaft ones generally need to be stronger as they take more load than the prop shaft, however many times your differential steps it up...

I don't know if you need different ones on the spitfire though, but I definitely did on the GT6 as they kept breaking.