Delco or Lucas

Gadgetman

You  can strip and repair lucas you can mend delco to destruction

Both need oiling inside to lube the top bush but declo suffer badly for shaft bush wear more so than lucas.

Delco rotor arms dont suffer from nasty aftermarket junk that has plagued lucas ,  get a red  rotor from club never use one with a rivet in the  sweep plate  as these can jump the HT to earth

Pete

Extract from an article I did in March 2017 Courier Vitesse Reg Column.

The early UK Vitesse 6 had a single dial dash which meant the distributor didn’t require a cable drive for a tachometer. The distributor fitted was manufactured by Lucas being a 25D6 type. After Engine number HB15001 a four-dial dash was fitted and a distributor with a tachometer cable drive was required. As a result a Delco-Remy D200 distributor was fitted. This was changed to a Delco-Remy D202 at Engine number HB16302, late 1963, which gave less advance and was due to a reshaped of the combustion chambers in the cylinder head to improve the combustion, which resulted in an increase in the BHP.

It is important to ensure the distributor has the correct advance curves to to match the engine. The original fitment would have these curves.

Dave

On 8/9/2018 at 8:52 AM, dave.vitesse said:

Extract from an article I did in March 2017 Courier Vitesse Reg Column.

The early UK Vitesse 6 had a single dial dash which meant the distributor didn’t require a cable drive for a tachometer. The distributor fitted was manufactured by Lucas being a 25D6 type. After Engine number HB15001 a four-dial dash was fitted and a distributor with a tachometer cable drive was required. As a result a Delco-Remy D200 distributor was fitted. This was changed to a Delco-Remy D202 at Engine number HB16302, late 1963, which gave less advance and was due to a reshaped of the combustion chambers in the cylinder head to improve the combustion, which resulted in an increase in the BHP.

It is important to ensure the distributor has the correct advance curves to to match the engine. The original fitment would have these curves.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have a 202 and the later combustion chambers so I think you’ve answered my question. 

Was a Lucas used on these later engines as well ?

C985D0D5-8708-470E-8CE1-8B8A053D6B48.jpeg

85D4C4EA-69FF-4EA4-A1A1-EB86CB9D982A.jpeg

Hi Dave

That's very interesting info for me. My engine was swapped by a PO many years ago with a mk2 2000 saloon with domed pistons, but I think all the ancilleries are original so it has a D200 delco dizzy. 

I am intending to swap this engine out with a mk2 vitesse/gt6 engine, so would this be more suited to the D200 dizzy?

Aidan

Yes it's the later head, so the Deco 202 is ok. This was used until the end of the production of the Vitesse 6 in Oct 1966. All the 2 litres used a Lucas 22/6. The 2 Litre (Mk1) has different advance curves from the Mk2. Also on the later Mk2 the advance curves were change to reflect changes in the fuel.

Aidan, All Mk2 2000 Saloons had the Lucas distributor 25/6, no rev counter drive.

For a Vitesse Mk2 engine you require a Lucas 22/6 Spec No 41273, this number is stamped on the side. Or a Delco 200 for a Mk2 GT6 engine, I am not sure of it's spec number. So you may have the correct distributor. Have a look on the web re the number on the side.

Dave