So it begins.

15 minutes ago, wayne Rollinson said:

the engine numbers would point to mk2 2000 not gt6 have I done wrong in my haste lol

Those with much more knowledge than me can reply about the differences in engine mountings and gearboxes, but one minor point with potential consequences is that the 2000 engine was canted over slightly, so when brought upright in the Spit6 will need a shorter dipstick, otherwise you'll be running with less oil on the full mark than you think you are!

Gully

Internally the same, maybe cam/CR but that is about it.

I think you are mounting the engine back, so you will use a spitfire front plate?

You will need to consider what induction. PI is usually used with the engine back, BUT has anybody tried the saloon canted inlet manifold with strombergs?? Just a thought. May be enough bonnet clearance, otherwise I would suggest be brave and fit EFI with a log manifold and single throttle body. Much imrpoved economy and you will get more power.

What gearbox do you plan to use? Think you may be stuck with GT6 and that will need the chassis rails tweeking.

If your going from 4 pot to a 6 pot Yes change the front  and rear engine plates, Im sure the inclined manifold makes the carbs foul bonnet 

Clutch hsg and throw out  gearbox input shaft   clutch  and if and drive shafts have 5/16   bolts may need to be 3/8" coupling

Maybe starter motor upgrade    and  a 5/16" fuel line 

Sprint  strombergs have a shallow top if heghts a problem

Pete

really impressed with all the help everyone is offering, yes the engine is going back I found all pictures online and feel confident to do the alteration of bodywork. I had planned to use the engine front plate to mount like others have, I initially thought about using bike carbs but i found a few sites that guys fitted injection, I started looking into this to work out prices and found a set of inlets off a PI these I ended up buying really cheap, found a site which already had done this mod so there are lots of pictures and tips to convert, i will do away with the butterflies fit a rail then single throttle body off a stainless plenum I will fab up, the hard part for me will be the wiring as its not my strong point and boy does there look like a lot of wires.

I believe my only option is vitesse or GT6 gearbox so I will be on the lookout, I missed a full engine and box in the courier, gutted.

so things have a direction and everything is taking shape so lets see how we get on, regards wayne

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

would think you need the turret mounts off the crankcase not the 2000 ones on the timing front plate

Only for the standard GT6 engine location. Wayne is moving it back, so it will mount on the front plate like a Spitfire. Whether the 2000 plate is usable or needs replacing with a Spitfire/Herald/Dolomite one is a different question.

The GT6 mounts are 50% wider (about 75mm v. 50mm for the Spit ones) but I've been running with the Spit mounts for years, no problems.

I've just recently put a GT6 mount on the nearside to lift the engine by about 22mm (by using the top-most stud only) so that I can fit one of the double-valve Mann oil filters without it touching the chassis. There's so much space above the engine I reckon I could have them both sides and still just about clear the bonnet!

Following your project Wayne - keep up the good work!

Cheers, Richard

Again thanks and much food for thought going in, I came across a picture with the e type jag mounts off the uprights and from the block this looks solid, I could make the full block mount at work with the press instead of buying the block mount and adding to it, might as well start from scratch, the e type mounts are cheap this then means I only need to fold up the plate for the uprights at the same time, looking at the spitfire mounts they won't hold up very well, regards wayne, ps keep any thoughts coming you all have.

I like the jag mounts. Genuine ones are available from SNG barrets. I use them on my spit (185ish bhp) and indeed my 2 litre toledo. 

Part no. c18556,they sell cheap, good and oem....

I need to replace one on my spitfire (I think) after an autosolo incident. Itmay just have shifted the engine over , I am not sure yet. Already replaced the lower wishbone and ARB mount.

Hi. Daft question maybe, though non member posted a picture of Spit mounts that are squarish (similar to a Vitesse, which is what I'm looking for) , Looking at the jag ones one from  Barrets, that fit Spits, they are round. So, completely not adaptable I assume?.

Cheers, Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

No, the mounts would take some fabrication to fit. It may be as simple as a bit of  steel angle and a plate..... Although Steves conversion was to the middle of the suspension towers wnd brackets back to the std block mounting.

As an aside, I used the jag mounts on my toledo as they are versatile. A couple of holes had then bolted to the subframe, a 40mm long bit of steel angle bolted to the top of the rubber mount, and then just cut a bit of rectangular box steel to the plates that are bolted to the block. Agricultural and simple, yes. My sort of engineering!

Awesome week, picked up my engine, which had a nice alloy rocker cover, pi throttle bodies turned up so managed to remove all the tubing and butterflies now to bead blast back to new, lastly tonight I found a gt6 gearbox and overdrive unit so I will be full steam ahead fitting it all up with the jag mounts once fitted I can strip the chassis out for blasting and at this point I think i will galv dip and two pack white to match the body. Pictures to follow each process, things will start to look good, regards wayne

• Like 3

Hi Wayne, subscribed to your thread, couldn't have come at a better time, hoping to get a Mk3 Spit , but now my knee's are wobbling, think by the time I'm done it'll look more like something out of Wacky Racers ,keep showing those pic's matey ,I'm going to need all the help I can get :)

Will