1975 Spitfire 1500 Restoration

I seem to remember the engine had work done prior to my ownership that I discovered when I pulled it apart back in 2018. From memory it had been bored out to +20 and had a crank grind +40 on the big ends and +10 on the mains. Could never work out why considering the car is only showing 66k miles and 9 years of service before being parked up. Engine is the original confirmed by a heritage certificate I had for Christmas last year. Maybe its had a similar issue in its past? Certainly fuel for thought.

I did suspect it was a bottom end issue definitely not the exhaust hitting anywhere which I kind of hoped for aswell. Will dig out the long screwdriver tomorrow and have a listen I suspect around cylinders 3 & 4 but will check all the other areas too like timing chain, cam sort of areas and will report back. I've just been put on to as and when required at work so that'll give me some time to pull the lump and see whats going on. Haha and don't worry have the T-shirt for things like that using a proper automotive stethoscope could never find the end after checking a water pump on a Toyota Avensis 

Just been out to have a little listen around thankfully no trip to A&E needed. Removed a plug lead at a time noise was still there, checked around with my long testing screwdriver couldn't really anything alarming which was strange checked around the lower block area, top of the engine and around the timing cover even pulled out the dipstick incase the crank was catching that. Engine does run a bit lumpy but that's most likely because its needs tuning. Thinking of removing the sump to have a look before removing the engine 🤔 

Well this is bizarre. Yesterday my mate came over to have a little listen to the noise, started it up take it up to 2k with the choke on as before and could only just hear the noise, warmed the engine up a bit pushed the choke in took the revs back up to 2k and the noise was gone! Initially I thought it was a knock but we determined it was more of a rattle anyway fired it up again today and there is no noise at all with and without choke. Can't quite get my head around it however I'm not complaining think I'll just monitor it and have a good listen every now and again and carry on as before especially as my order from Owen @ Park Lane Classics arrived today.

Conor

44 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

but can a journal get a air lock in the lube supply ???

I would have thought it's more than possible for a rebuilt engine to have a semi-soluble blockage in one of the oilways. That would give symptoms of lack of lubrication to some part of the engine for as long as it took to dissolve - which might mean until the first time you get the engine properly warm.

• Like 1