Trailer vs Recovery Truck

rolyberkin

On 8/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, ShaunW said:

It's funny how we all have different ideas of a no brainer. An extra 120 quid? ... For me that's a definite no way I'll do it myself. It probably comes down to how much £120 means to you. Also for me going to collect it would be half the adventure of getting it.

Have you been to see the car? Or are you buying it on a strangers word? If I turned up in Devon and it was a pile of cr*p I could walk (drive) away rather than finding out when it's dumped on my driveway. Or at least I would negotiate a discount.

Buying a car sight unseen by mail order seems to be asking for trouble. Who's paying the return trip if it's not as described, got a restamped vin or it's nothing but filler and bad welding? 

£120 in my pocket and peace of mind.... It's a no brainer :)

I haven't seen it yet it's what we might say a slow burner, I have just had a photo valuation done via the club and it falls within my parameters for purchase, I will be going down to check it out on Monday,  I have booked a trailer, sorted out an insurance quote via Peter James (What a cracking company they are!) and will see how we go. If it all goes well Monday I will post a photo up, keeping my cards close to my chest at this point!;-)

Was he a bit 'coy' about its faults? ?

Good for you though. I hope it brings you many hours of head scratching, knuckle bashing, oily overalled fun. And it was a good idea not to wait until Christmas, just in case you haven't been a good enough boy to have a toy like that!

(sorry about the first mention of the 'C' word) 

In all fairness the gentleman who was selling her was the first and only owner and he was blissfully unaware of the faults, apart from where he had reversed the car into the plant pot on the driveway. It was clear that there was old damage to the rear and I  glanced up and saw a wooden trough with a chunk out, I said I think you may have reversed into that pot at some point, he laughed and said there is obviously no hiding anything from you!:-) The mechanic from the garage which has looked after the car for many years  turned up to deliver the MOT cert and said that although the car has been MOT's there is still a lot to do. The has already had a full rebuild in the early 90's but I think he perhaps hasn't done much to her in the last few years just the bare minimum to get the car through the M.O.T so at first glance it looks very nice but on closer inspection needs a shed load doing. Someone has been messing around with scotch locks and there seem to be more switches than you can shake a stick at. 

The owner couldn't find the MOT and the mechanic/owner of the garage who has looked after it for many years lived down the road, so on his way home delivered it whilst I was there. He was a nice chap and was saying that although the MOT requirements had been dealt with there were things that should have been done which didn't fail the MOT as they were within tolerance,  there were some advisories etc. His point was that even though it had an MOT the car could be improved and the owner was simply keeping it in MOT and not doing any more than he had to, probably down to cost.

sounds like time to start a new thread on the way forward from here,

just shows a photo says a thousand words , but the eyes and ears are really the best with a few words thrown in for back up

hope you're pleased with the new acquisition  we look forward to all the Q & A s on here 

if it runs enough to get to Duxford we can all have a..........  laugh.....  well support really

Pete

• Like 1