Indicator/Side Light Unit on a GT6 Mk3

Alan C

Hi Everyone

I haven't posted here in a very long time so apologies for that.

I am just putting the quarter valances back on the GT6 after respraying them. I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the correct orientation of the combined sidelight/ indicator units. I have them fitted with the sidelight outboard but this means the indicator reflector is angled towards the centre of the car which seems wrong.

An internet trawl shows them fitted both ways round which isn't much help.

Is there a correct way.

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

As you say some photos have them on the outside, some on the inside. This is the same throughout the range even the early GTs with single round flashers and side lights are either or. The same with Spitfires. My GT6 MK3 has the side lights on the outside, but I had new quadrants put on when I had it resprayed 20 years ago, so I don't know if the units were put back the same as they came off. :lol:. My Haynes manual has a picture of a Mk2, presumably new, with side lights on the outside.

As to the angling of the flasher bulb holder, the lens is shallower on one side than the other so was this done to get a uniform brightness across the width of the lens rather than angle the direction? I don't know, we need a lighting engineer. :lol:

Doug

In these cases I would always refer to John Thomason's "Spitfire & GT6 Guide To Originality". Unfortunately my copy is hidden in a safe place - so safe I can't seem to find it at the moment. Sorry! Try looking online for factory brochures and press photos.

Cheers, Richard

Thanks for the replies.

The consensus seems to be sidelights to the outside and I'm of a similar mind to you Colin. The sidelights should mark the extremities of the car.

My E-Type has the indicators on the outside but being mounted on a curve probably meant that this was done for side illumination when flashing.

I have a couple of brochures from the time and they show the sidelights to the outside. So assuming the cars came direct from the factory I would take this as the correct orientation.

It seems incredible that there wasn't a standard position for these.

Cheers

Alan