Did no one know that this was in press?

JohnD

I think the Amphicar was originally one of the "six" in the Triumph Sports Six Club. The others being Herald, Vit, Spit, GT6 and "Specials" (kit cars).

For years there was one in a front garden at Ryeish Green near us. I'd cycle by every so often and wonder what the owner was going to do with it. It never moved but wasn't in too bad condition. Then, around 2000 or so it vanished.

Cheers, Richard

There was an Amphicar section in The Courier when I joined n the early 1990s, and the club advertising claimed that the name was for the six sections: Herald, Vitesse, GT6, Spitfire, Bond and Specials. If you look at any of the early couriers, or the adverts in the motoring press of the time, it states the reason for the name.

I remember an Amphicar at Stafford around 1994, and still have the photos.

Do'h - you're right Doug, I completely forgot about Bonds. Apologies to Bond owners everywhere!

Like you Colin, I remembered the Amphicar section in the Courier when I joined, and my "approximate brain" added one and six and made ... six.

I think I remember reading that the founder (John Griffiths?) liked the name for the Vitesse in the USA, the Triumph "Sports Six" and then realised there were six cars based on the small chassis for which the new club would cater.

Cheers, Richard