Sealed unit steering rack adjustment

haggis

HI All, seem to have some play in my steering rack, works out about 5 degs both ways on the steering wheel before the wheels turn.

I've replaced the flexible joint and the track rods are not worn.

The rack is a sealed unit which can't be greased, just wondering if anyone knows if these are still adjustable like the originals??? or is it time for a replacement?

Thanks

Hag

Hi Pete, Well it’s the same as an original except that the place where the grease nipple is, is now blanked off so you can’t grease/oil it. I had assumed it was a ‘sealed unit’ because of this, but maybe that’s not right. Rimmers mention a sealed for life product, but you are right if someone built it, it can be taken apart. Just wanted to see if anyone had tried before? 

Thanks hag 

If its all simlar just the greaser cap missing and it has the large nut housing I would just unscrew and remove one shim 

Theres got to be some setting for the shoe pressing the rack the idler pinion preload   and shimmed end sphericals

Some modern spherical ends are crimpled, and can be reformed in press or re rolled in a lathe  to reduce slack non adustable ends 

It all depends on where the play is  coming from

Pete

• 2 months later...

I have a sealed after market steering rack and have a different problem - its a bit tight and where the shims would be under the lubrication point, its just a hex screw with paint line as if tamper proof. Its ok and much better than the previous free play but doesnt self-centre very well, although I suspect it might not be rack itself thats tight, but the ball joints to the tie rods that came self assembled. Anyone else had this. I jacked up the front and did 100 turns lock to lock which MIGHT have helped a bit.

Also, I want to replace the flexible coupling to the steering column to get rid of the last bit of play and remember seeing this in a thread but can't now find it. Anyone used the Rimmers ones or any recommendations?

Dave

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I  would pull the gaitors and grease the rack shaft,

Me too; extend fully, grease, then slide right through and do the same for the other side. Plenty of grease too, not enough to explode the gaiters but enough to get into the important bits inside the rack.

Thanks both, will try that, but what is the 'damper shoe shimmed plate'? I would have thought that if I grease the rack but think its the inner ball joints that are tight, I would look to remove a shim from these looking at my Haynes manual. When the old rack assembly was off the car, these joints moved easily, but were very stiff on the new one so perhaps should have considered doing this before fitting. I just trusted that the new unit would be set up right.

Also any guidance on sourcing replacement UJ for column base - I can see that remaining play of about 1/4 inch either way at steering wheel is from this universal joint. Track rod ends are new.

Cheers

Dave

There are two makes of rack , some the shoe is under a plate with shims and spring inside

In the main the shoe is shim adjusted under the big nut /cap opposite the input shaft 

Too much pressure makes a stiff rack 

As for the spherical joint for the track rods they shim to an interferance of -0.002" or should take a load of 1.5lbs on the end of the rod to make it swivel

Pete

• 3 months later...