Dials

NickT

Hi All. Just a quickie. I,m going to get a spare dashboard for my Vitesse re-veneered. The question is, What is the diameter of the Fuel, Oil and Temp gauges, assuming they are all a standard size. I,m thinking of moving them from the right side to the middle. 

Cheers for any info. Nick

Hi Pete. Thanks for that. ?

I,m going to take it as the 2" size as probably English sizes. 50mm is nearly 1mm smaller. Sorry not being pedantic ,but i,m a precision engineer and work to very fine tolerances.

How much clearance would i need i to cut. Would 52mm holes be adequate.

Cheers Nick

2 hours ago, NickT said:

Hi Pete. Thanks for that. ?

I,m going to take it as the 2" size as probably English sizes. 50mm is nearly 1mm smaller. Sorry not being pedantic ,but i,m a precision engineer and work to very fine tolerances.

How much clearance would i need i to cut. Would 52mm holes be adequate.

Cheers Nick

Precision engineer? You could drive a bus through that allowance. ☺ 

52 is OK. The bezel is usually about 3/16. Wood moves so a mil all round is sensible. 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:58 PM, ShaunW said:

Precision engineer? You could drive a bus through that allowance. ☺ 

52 is OK. The bezel is usually about 3/16. Wood moves so a mil all round is sensible. 

Not sure what you mean by the first comment but thanks anyway. A tolerance of plus or minus 0.002mm is common in my game so the difference between 50mm and 2" is a lot if you only want to cut a hole once.?.

Anyway Cheers again for the measurements. Nick

10 hours ago, NickT said:

Not sure what you mean by the first comment but thanks anyway. A tolerance of plus or minus 0.002mm is common in my game so the difference between 50mm and 2" is a lot if you only want to cut a hole once.?.

Anyway Cheers again for the measurements. Nick

I was just joking Nick. Because you said you were a precision guy but weren't going for 2.00001".  

Hi Shaun.

Ok get what you mean know. No worries.No offence taken. I,m lucky to have a cabinet maker for a brother in law so hes gonna sort it for me. think the tolerances are a lot more in wood tho eh!.

i machine a lot of ally and stainless steel and do tend to do things exact, even diy much to my wifes amusement.

Anyway Vitesse is in garage now getting a 3 grand tart up?.

Cheers again Nick.

No probs nick. I do a bit of fine woodwork myself. Don't doubt the accuracy. The smallest edge you can feel is about a fag paper and I think that's about 3 thou (I'll get that gauge out later). And don't forget, my 3 thou is 5 on a rainy day and 2 when it's dry. At least your ali stays still ?

I try and leave my stuff about a year before I do the finishing, just so it's stopped moving a bit. Wood turnings are the worst cos the grain shrinks in one direction more than the other. 

And then the issue with your stuff is that it either fits or not, you can't just whack it in if you're a hair out, and you can't fill a gap with a dollop of shellac. 

We both have challenges, keeps us quiet and out of the way though eh. 

I replaced my ammeter with a voltmeter, both Smiths, both the same size. I had trouble getting the volt meter in, but twisted it to one side and it slid straight in. So, gauge case not quite round and hole also, not quite round. Sorted the hole out with a wood rasp, no actual measurement involved.

db

20 hours ago, NickT said:

i machine a lot of ally and stainless steel and do tend to do things exact

I must introduce you to my father-in-law of AJM Engineering, I sometimes make the mistake of asking if he has a certain bolt and show him the one I need to replace.

Four hours later he's still trying pitch gauges and counting the threads, then confirms it's the 5/16 UNC I originally stated it was.