New Master Cylinder Bracket Bolt size

Anglefire

On the basis that the Club shop is now shut, I thought I'd ask here!

I bought some new brackets for the Master cylinders from the Club shop and thought I'd have a look at changing them tonight whilst the bakeoff was on.

Clutch came off easy enough - I have a bag of UNF bolts and thought I would replace the ones holding the cylinder onto the bracket - and can't find the right size one - even the originals won't go in. ? They go about halfway in and then go tight. I've tried some metric bolts and they are worse.

It might just be that the nut is slightly distorted from being welded - but don't want to wreck them without being sure of the size!

Oh and this is for a Spitfire 1500. :)

Got some new 5/16” bolts and they don’t fit either. I’ve not had chance to ring the shop yet. I might get some time tomorrow but work (yes I know it’s a four letter word) is a bit hectic- especially as I’m off next week so have a load of stuff to get done this week 

Some of these brackets do have, unfortunately, either stove enamelling down the threads or occasionally some weld offshoots (?), I ran a second tap and bottoming tap down all of them but wondered if you had an early one that had not been cleaned out? It is though 1/4 x 24 UNF thread as Pete stated, not metric at all. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit said:

1/4 x 24 UNF

Its a 5/16" actually - I've not had chance to run a tap down yet - not sure I'll get anytime over the weekend as I have to do some twiddling on the heating control system and then pack my bag before I have to get the train to Manchester on Monday evening and catch the big bird.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to tackling this, this afternoon whilst SWMBO is out ;)

Ran a tap down and bolts went in just fine. 

Then took it out for a spin - as it's not been out for what seems like months! Went very nicely - span up to 5500rpm with ease - no misfires, nothing - and sounds really nice :) It is using too much oil though - probably rings - and the pressure is still lower than I'd like - so I will change it for some 20-60 Millers in and see if that helps. If not, I'll drop the engine out - but it won't be for a while - I'll just keep adding oil!

Oh and I put a new pivot pin in on the clutch - as the old was really badly worn - stepped probably 2-3mm on two sides. Clutch seems to work much nicer now too!